Ive found a new critter??????

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by karlas, Jun 16, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

I found someting in the tank. Yes 2 years going and im still finding stuff. It looks like 2 or 3 of them and they only come out at night is when i see them. When the light hits them they dissapear.

It sort of looks like a stem with tenacles coming out from the stem . Ive had aptasia but this is nothing like what i killed off. But it looks like it could have a mouth of some type on the end of the stem. The tenacles are about a half and inch long but the thing is completely clear. Plus on the end of the tenacles its got pure white tips it looks like little ball type ends.

I doubt i can get a pic being a night creature and completely clear i can see the rock thru this thing. its growing off the rock my leather frag came on.

any ideas guys? ive looked at the critter id pages ive looked all over the internet and just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this.

2. Click Here!

3. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Blue, 3, 90%]Hey karla,

I think what you have is Astrangia sp. I may have a daytime picture of one in my sump. They don't all look the same, because they are corals of opportunity. They find a place they like and take up residence. Without any predators, they can pretty much take over a LR in short order. They are very pretty at night, with a Actinic light on them. I have a LOT of them in my sump. This pic is one I have in my sump that set up house in an old rock coral skeleton.

HTH[/glow]

Attached Files:

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I've got quite a few Astraingia myselk and they are very beautiful creature. Enjoy!

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow. Interesting. How are those different than Aptasia?
    Same family?

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

so they are a coral then

i was wondering it is on the same rock as my leather i dont want them to sting each other or my leather and it is a small rock is there anyway i can sperate the rock or knock off the end? i never seperated any rock so im not sure

if its a keeper id like to just relocate it a little

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

Thnx for the id guys it does look a lot like it. I was pokin around in my coral book and ran across a similar species but this is a type of collimorph. I wanted to shiw the pics as to the similarities but these are neat lookin.

orange ball collimorph

rare white collimorph

[glow=red, 2, 300]matt[/glow]

i did some lookin on the astrangia name and its a type of stony coral so we both know the difference between that an aptasia now

Astrangia danae ( Northern Stony Coral)

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ditto.
    Looks like some time worth spent on those links!
    [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

11. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

one more link guys check out the section on the astrengia but it has more critters also

plant like animals

if you do some checking around these guys have a good shark section and jelly fish section if your intrested just look for the shark and jellyfish links

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow. How do you find all this stuff Karla? :eek: 8)

Man, you need to be in charge of the links section! ;) ;D