Ive been refered to you and have a few questions.

Discussion in 'DrTim's Aquatics' started by harrison, Apr 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. harrison

harrison Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm starting my first marine setup and plan on keeping a 38 gallon that measures 36x12x20 or a 40 that is 36x16x18. it will house 30-40 lb. of live-rock and an abundance of very simple easy soft and hard corals. in terms of Fish:
    maroon clown, dwarf fuzzy lionfish, cockatoo waspfish, redfin waspfish, cheekspot scorpionfish, and finally a leaf scorpionfish.

i know that this is a huge bioload im dealing with and i would have to gradually add fish to let the filter adjust and i might not even get all the previous fish. I would like to know what you think about the bio load because you're the go to guy for this kinda stuff.

i plan on using a large protien skimmer and a sump. what do you recommend.

could i add tim's one and only to boost the adaptation time of the biofilter???
    thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Honestly I forsee WWIII in the tank with all those super aggressive predator fish. In a tank that size, I personally do not see them surviving due to fighting, let alone having enough filtration to put up with the bioload.

maroon clown, dwarf fuzzy lionfish, cockatoo waspfish, redfin waspfish, cheekspot scorpionfish, and finally a leaf scorpionfish.

I think maybe the maroon clown and 1 of the other fish from the selection. Plus please remember that all those fish with the exception of the clown are venomous. While a sting might not kill you, it is not a pleasant thing to go through being stung. I have kept both wasp and scorpions, and only got hit by a fuzzy lion. It isnt something I want to happen again. While none of those fish are going to dive bomb you, you will need to be extra careful with them. The smaller the tank, the less room you will have to work around in your tank

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

Also, you're talking about aggressive predators in a reef tank, which is not recommended. The fish eat a lot and produce a lot of waste, and even the easiest of corals have a limit to the amount of nutrients they can tolerate.

5. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

+2,a bioload that big in that small of a tank (aside from all the other reasons already mentioned) will have you constantly struggling to keep your parameters in check,mainly nitrates,phosphates and ammonia.There will be no stability to the tank.Sounds like a recipe for a failure to me.

6. harrison

ok thanks for your concern. do you think a leaf, cockatoo maron and lion only would be better?
    and only those 4 fish?

i plan on using a stealth feeding stick so as to cut down on nitritrs and nitrate due to uneaten food.
    i also plan on hhaving a huge cuc with lots of snails and hermits.

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

The short answer is no.

Uneaten food will be the least of your concerns; it's the amount of waste predators produce that will keep you fighting nutrients. If you want a reef, I suggest you stick with 3 or 4 smaller reef fish, with the maroon clown being the largest. If you want a predator tank, you need a larger tank without corals.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

Hello
    As others have noted this is too many fish and the wrong type of a reef tank. You need to decide are you going to have a reef tank where the corals as the center of attraction of do you want a fish tank where the fish are the center of attraction.

Right now you have a hybrid and it will not work - for the corals, fish or you.

Adding One & Only will get the system going but that is not the long term problem - with this set-up you'll be putting too many nutrients in the tank (no matter what or how you feed) and this will just cause problems for the corals.

As this point before better advice can be given you need to make a decision - corals with maybe the maroon clown and few smaller fish or a bigger tank for the fish you listed which may still not advert a war between them.

1 person likes this.
  10. harrison

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Renee has been in this business for many, many years. Her fish are in journals, magazines etc. She is a pro in this hobby! I would send her an IM and talk with her.

You asked our opinion and many people have given it. You take what you want from it. I still stand behind that the average to the advanced hobbyist would be looking at a disaster with this selection. Even more true with a new hobbyist.

12. harrison

ok thanks ya i agree. it seems pretty edgy. what about a fish only system????