it's starting...

Discussion in 'Algae' started by brew0688, Mar 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brew0688

brew0688 Fire Shrimp

Hi everybody.

I'm a newer member, and have stuck to everyone's advice to "go slow, and let it grow" as best I can.

My tank has been up for almost 5 weeks now, and has for the most part, cycled. Everything has been at 0 for about 2 weeks now. ( I realize that is fast, which is why I still haven't added anything.)

I have been running my lights for about 2 weeks. (Coralife Aqualight 2X65W [one actinic]) The algae is really starting to bloom now. It started with just a small trace of bright green algae on the LR that I got from the LFS. This morning, I noticed a few patches on the glass, and by the time I got home from work this afternoon, it's grown considerably. There are patches starting to grow on my sand/argonite bed, as well as on my powerhead, filter, and the newer base rock I put in (that I had heavily bleached and rinsed). My 15lb LR from the LFS is almost completely covered in a bright green / brown algae - all of which is forming a multitude of bubbles on it (I'm guessing it's anaerobic).

As I said earlier - I have made an effort to be patient. Every-time someone comes over they ask why I STILL haven't got anything in my fish-tank. It makes me proud of myself. :)

My question is this - how do I go about introducing whatever it is that I need to introduce to jump start some bio-load in my tank, and get things rolling? I'm in no hurry - and would be completely content adding just a few crabs and snails, or even a fish if my tank is ready for that. What I need, is some help putting together a list of "cleaners" I want to order from reefcleaners.org, or get from my LFS.

I realize the guy at reefcleaners.org is a sponsor of this site. Several times I have asked this question and have been directed to contact him. The thing is, I want to understand WHY I'm putting what in my tank, not just get a package from reeflcleaners.org.;)

Thanks in advance for you help, everyone.

Brew

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

John will explain every critter to you in detail not just send you a package, if you ask him. If you asked him I'd bet he'd even take the time to set up a phone call so you can ask discuss your set up and ask him why he recommends what he does. Yeah I think he's that great a guy.
    Kudo's for being patient and it does sound like you are ready for a CUC. After you add them I'd give it a couple weeks to let your biofilter catch up and then add one or two fish per month until you reach the fishinch/gallon limit. :)