Issues with MF 181 Kone

Discussion in 'Warner Marine' started by Bailey151, Apr 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bailey151

Bailey151 Plankton

First I'll start by saying I like this skimmer, only had it a month or so but so far it's been great (aside from the odd issue I'm having).

When run @ 9.5" depth the I can set it to about 3- 4 turns from fully open on the water level & .5 - .75 on the air knob. Works great, moderately wet skim.

Here's the issue -

If I so much as move the skimmer up 1/4" in depth I can barely get it to skim, it is very dry (more on the neck & lid than anything else). This is with the water set @ max closed (just at the point where the threads engage). I've tried the air @ most all settings. It still seems to prefer .75 to 1 open. Any more and it just gets larger bubbles lower in the body = less production.

I know what the thought would be........then don't raise it up :cheesy: ........well that brings me to the only flaw in the design - the drain. The straight down tube fitting doesn't really work for me (or for who I'd ask?). My sump is 16" tall = I need to raise it up a tad to use the drain (plan is to drill out the fitting & tap it for a 1/4" npt x 90*).

I first tried it raised 1/2" that didn't work at all, so I dropped it to 1/4" (just a single piece of acrylic)..........hasn't worked that well so far.

It seems very odd to me that 9.5" depth = 3 - 4 turns from full open & 1/4 shallower (fully closed, like 12 turns) = minimal skimming??????

The real reason I want to use the drain is so I can fit a neck cleaner - it seems performance drops fast as the neck gets dirty. At the 9.5" depth I'll get 1/2" of skimmate on the 1st day, then it's 1/4" over the next 2 days..............clean the neck & it's back to 1/2" in 24hrs.

Happy I found this forum - I was nearing the point where I'd have to say "nice skimmer, just doesn't work in my application".

2. Click Here!

3. Jon Warner

Jon Warner 3reef Sponsor

That's a mystery... just a couple observations:

I always leave the air valve 100% open and yes the drain is relatively low and can be tough fit a collection device in the sump

4. Bailey151

Bailey151 Plankton

Thanks Jon, sounds weird but I feel a bit better........I kept thinking I must be missing something, now I know I'm not :cheesy:

Can't really say why but the air fully open doesn't work all that well for me, with it at 3/4 of a turn open the small bubble line is just about at the bayonet mount.........when I open it up that line moves down into the body (the pump is moving more air & less water I'm guessing).

I did disassemble & check the skimmer last night.....just in case I missed something - everything was clear.

I also checked the 90* fitting I intend to use for the drain.....I might just be able to squeak it in there. I'll drop it down & see if I can make it fit.

Still like the design, that under the pump water exit is just genius - makes the unit so sleek. Also so far the ES2000 works very well, quiet & restarts every time (2x day feedings).

Thanks again for the input

Now I can get those ecobak pellets online & see what that makes the skimmer do :cheesy:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  5. kv2wr1

kv2wr1 Astrea Snail

I think they are very fine tunable skimmers and you just need to find that sweet spot. I tested my MF201 in about 8-8.25 inches of vinegar water (tank isn't up and running yet) with the air valve just barely open and the gate around 3/4 the way shut IIRC. I was getting a lot of foam just out of the vinegar water I was testing in. They can be sensitive, but settle really fast. Looks like the skimmers should be between 7-9.4 inches of water. You may just have very clean water at the moment too so there might be not much to skim yet. Let us know if the pellets change anything as far as skimmate production.

6. Bailey151

Bailey151 Plankton

Clean? That would be a first for my tank ;D Actually I'm closer to pushing the recommended limits for the unit - about 150 gallons. While it's possible it might be more than keeping up with the load it's not all that likely.

Agree on all counts. I initially tested in 6.5" of water (break in w/ old tank water) - it didn't like that one bit, buzzy & wouldn't raise very far........I was a bit apprehensive. Added some more water & in a day or so it was ready to go. It does seem a bit sensitive to water depth.

Only issue I have is the height......trying to squeeze in the drain, getting it over the sump.

Other than the single issue I really like it. Very well built, adjusts easy, skims well (when set right), and energy efficient. The footprint is also very sump friendly - no twists & turns to get it to fit.

JNS Reactor is on the way......we'll see how that affects things. I'll finally get to use the pellets - I've had them since there were Ecoback & some other brand that cost a ba-gillion $$$ (forget the name). Jon's were the first to fit the pocketbook of the average reefer.

7. kv2wr1

kv2wr1 Astrea Snail

McMaster-Carr

McMaster-Carr

You might be able to get a plastic barb fitting in a 90* bend and then connect that to the straight fitting via some tubing. McMaster Carr has all kinds. I believe ours is 5/8" , but you might need to double check that.

8. Click Here!

9. Bailey151

Bailey151 Plankton

Thanks for the input. My plan is to use a 1/4" Npt x 1/2" OD (swivel) push connect fitting -

McMaster-Carr

(love McMaster Carr.....next day delivery for me!)

The fitting on the 181 is 3/8" ID tubing barb. Given the size of the fitting I should be able to drill it out & tap it without actually cutting much if any into the acrylic.

I thought about simply going tube -> 90* -> tube but that would take up more space requiring more clearance.