Is your tank overstocked?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, May 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Yes!

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. No.

25 vote(s)
    75.8%
  3. Not Sure.

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well thanks to my recent impulse buys, my tank is officially overstocked. I predict I will be buying a larger tank by the end of the summer or trading in my corals for sheets of algae. Shades of green are very relaxing, no? :tongue4:

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Well, i have been pretty good lately. In my opinion my tank is right before being over stocked...its just perfect ^^. Really the only swimming fish i have is a hoevens wrasse...getting a little big...but not that big. The firefish comes out once every blue moon (more now though) the clowns and clown gobies just chill in their cribs (yo yo yo ^^). The blenny is...well you know...and the watchman is...erm...somewhere hiding as we speak...sounds like alot...but they are all pretty small and dont swim lol.

4. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

I had been pretty good controlling myself not to buy any until my tank get more mature. I am doing pretty good, I only have a Lawnmower blenny, Royal Gramma, and a False Perc. Clown. I really want to get a salfin tang and a mated pair of firefish, but I will wait for my tank to get more stable. I am trying to get the nitrate down to 0, it's 5ppm right now.

Since we are discussing overstocks...will a salfin tang, pair of firefish, pair Bangaii Cardinal, pair clowns, a watchman goby, lawnmower blenny, and a flame angel(or Emperor Angel) overstock my tank?

5. Redbeard

Redbeard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Long answer for a short Question!

Got the lights and the pump for the 180 gallon AGA today, still running FW while I get everything set up.

I never did get anymore livestock for the 50 gallon, (still in learning mode). All that's in there are some of the original cleaning crew but I killed all the fish (blue green reef chromis) when I did something REALLY stupid a few weeks ago.:-[ (In 20+ years in the aquarium hobby I've never wipped out an entire school of fish untill now).

The 29 gallon FW planted tank just has 3 Amano shrimp, no fish.

For the 10 gallon FW tank we just use a net to dip out a bunch of the mosquito fish when they start hanging out at the top after feeding time is over.;D They get relocated to the big tanks outside.

There's usually about 7 pond comets in the 300 gallon water garden at any given time, the largest being about a foot long (give or take). They spawn regularly but we've seen birds catch them and I would guess that stray cats get some now and then as well.

Last but not least, we have 3 red eared sliders (aquatic turtles) living outside in another 300 gallon stock tank. That one has a pressure filter on it but needs a good sized settling tank and bio filter. In the meantime my wife lovingly moves them out to a feeding tank several times a week so the little piggies don't pollute their water.

All in all I think we keep stocking levels to a minimum, we haven't suffered from morefishitis for quite some time now and we've learned to control our impulse buys for the most part. Hopefully I won't get too carried away when I start stocking the new reef tank.::)

Ted

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

LOL

I'm completely UNDERSTOCKED right now. I sold my 200g prop tank and all of the SPS that were growing in it. I'm selling my house so I had to remove my 75g from the wall and patch the hole. That tank got sold as well. The 55g was sold....you get the picture.

Right now all I have is a 20g nano, a 24g nanocube, and a 12g nano. I DON'T HAVE A SINGLE MANTIS!!! One of the downsides of my letting people know how interesting mantis are is that they are so hard to get now.

BTW....in that 200g, I proved that you can grow SPS under PC lighting and do it well. Granted, my specimens were raised up near the top of the tank. They grew like weeds. That tank was understocked....one blenny in a 200g tank. My wave-maker for that tank was very high-tech. It was a piece of 1/4in plexiglass that I would put in one side of the tank and shove the water a couple of times per day so that it was sloshing around. (Obviously, I couldn't fill the tank all the way up but I didn't want to as it was 24" deep).

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

When my 370G was delivered one of the LFS guy said "well I guess you won't be needing any coral for the new tank, since you have so many in your 75G"

So yes I'm way over stocked. In coral anyway

J

8. Click Here!

9. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I dont believe I am. I would like some more coral. I really like the LPS that Vamp is offering... And I only have 4 fish in a 90 gallon tank.
    I would like to keep the maintenance down to a minimum.

Jim

10. trizzot

trizzot Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Am I Overstocked ? I think i might be.
    1-Yellow Tang, 1-Green Chromis
    1-Hippo Tang, 1-Clarki Clown
    1-Exquisite Wrasse, 2-Perculas
    1-Lawnmower blenny, 1-orange anthias
    72 Bowfront reef with 100 lbs premium figi, 15 times turnover per hour.

11. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

12. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Nope, mine looks good. I am actually getting 2 tank bred clowns this weekend. :)