is this STN?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by chappy85, Apr 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chappy85

chappy85 Coral Banded Shrimp

this frag was given to me to see how sps would go in my nano and to be honest i have my doubts it will flourish, but am hoping it can at least survive.

by the time i got it into the tank it seemed to have this little blemish in a couple spots which might be getting worse. is this STN?
    [​IMG]
    have just started reading up on it and want to make sure i'm looking into the right problem.

thanks

2. Click Here!

3. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

it does look like something has caused damage to the tissue of this coral in that spot... most likely from being handled...

How long have you had the coral? I would watch that spot and if it gets worse, there may be a cause for concern...

4. chappy85

I've only had it 2 days now, and I think its very slowly getting worse. It may have been damaged in transit or being placed.
    Do you think I should leave it a week and see if it improves? Or maybe try find a dip product to help?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

5. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I've never dipped corals, and have had good success with keeping them... I think if your water quality is good, then chances are the coral will fare well.

It's tough to say you should do anything at this point, because the rest of the coral looks ok... but if the spot that is scraped off is getting larger by the day, then maybe someone else will have a suggestion for you...

how is the flow in your tank? IME, I use a turkey baster to blast off dead or dying tissue... usually the coral will heal itself and eventually grow over the bare spot within a few days to a week.

6. chappy85

I'll take pics of it daily to see if it is infact spreading.
    My flow isnt anything insane, but I had a small pump pointed at it yesterday and didnt think it was helping. Have now directed that towards the rock just next to it.
    Tried blasting it a bit using a syringe like a turkey baster, will try that some more tomorrow.
    Thanks

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

7. dweakl01

dweakl01 Astrea Snail

Personally, I'd dip it in CoralRx or Revive, paying close attention to the dip water to see if you get any pests in there. Very well could be AEFW or something like that. A more detailed pic would be required to give a better judgement. But, anytime a coral is looking rough like that, a dip is a good idea to help the coral heal and ensure pests are causing issues.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I myself think it may just be a switch in the lighting. Blow up the macro shot and you should be better able to see any pest, until confirmed I would possibly move it down if it continues to pale.

Kind of looks like a Garf BTW.

10. chappy85

i dont think its a pest problem as the persons tank that it came from seemed very healthy with a good amount of sps.
    the branch in the bottom left of the pic is my main concern as it looks like the bone is exposed. i'm more worried about the damaged area having an infection or something.
    at least whatever is happening to it is happening very slowly i guess.

should i maybe try fragging a piece from the top or other side as a sort of plan b?

11. BTowned

BTowned Peppermint Shrimp

If it's the white spot on the left, I'd say that is from manhandling the coral. Normally AEFW will get you at the base, and eat their way up the coral. it may have been fragged there, or possibly was touching another coral in that spot. But I agree with the above recommending dipping. I know there are a lot of people fighting pests, because they never dip corals. They seem to trust their local club members, and LFS. I can tell you that both of those sources are no less likely to give you parasites then anyone else. I've gotten most of the red bugs, montipora eating nudis, and AEFW's while dipping. You really need to do a couple of things with every coral. One is remove any base that it's glued to...you may think it's crazy, because you may actually re glue it to rubble, or a plug.

Plugs are sources for bubble algae, hair algae, etc...to be introduced to your tank. All it takes is one frag with it, and in a few months, you are deep into a algae reduction plan. Also MEN and AEFW tend to lay their eggs at the base, in the crevices that are great hiding spots.

Just leave it alone, but really I would never put a piece in my tank without an interceptor dip, and TMPCC bath.

12. chappy85

I did manhandle it when putting it into the tank? should i have used tools/gloves to handle it?
    I am going to have trouble getting to a LFS to buy a dip solution before the weekend and didnt see any having a quick look at some local OLFS either.
    will look a bit harder and see if i can get something sorted before easter even if its just to have on standby. have read that 2.5% iodine solution from a chemist may also work so if desperate i should be able to track that down
    thanks for the help, will keep my fingers crossed that it gets better