Is this possible??????

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by josh26757, May 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. josh26757

josh26757 Astrea Snail

I started back up my aquarium about 3 week ago. I had claimed to boid the rock because that was the plan but I decided not to. I had kept the rock in a 50 gal drum doing water changes ever month or two. The rock did get a little dry when I did the aquascape and all algae was already dead good and bad.
    I am using rox 0.8 carbon and a reactor along with a sock filter that I plan to take out and a reef octo skimmer.
    This is my question- I just tested the water twice and all parameters are zero!!! I would think it would be far from done cycling but how is this possible?
    I did use the sand that said it auto cycled your tank and I used saltwater zyme but I do not understand how it could cycle unless the my old rock still had all the good bacteria in it. When I say zero I mean zero. The tests are actually clearer than all the cards. I checked it with a salfert and API tests.
    Do you think they are right?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

If you did not dry the rock out then it should be viable. So yes the numbers could be right.

4. josh26757

josh26757 Astrea Snail

The rock was out of water for about 12 hours. I would think this is 2 long. I expected the rock to have mega die off but did not have anything in the tank so I did not care. I had already ordered new live rock so it was not a big price to pay to have the time to get things the way I wanted. I guess the anaerobic<--? bacteria could have survived. I just cant believe the tank could already be that stable. The KH is 12 to by the way.
    Calcium 400.