is this plenty of light for 60 gallon?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by FISH NEWB, Feb 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FISH NEWB

FISH NEWB Astrea Snail

i have a 47'' jbj light fixture with two bulbs inside. each bulb has two strips of lights one blue and the other white. each bulb reads 55watt b.12000k & p.8000. i was just wondering if this was plenty of light for beginner corals? here are some pics.:confused::confused::confused: IMG_0173.jpg IMG_0177.jpg IMG_0183.jpg IMG_0184.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

Pretty weak IMHO Newb. For a 60g a 4bulb T5 is probably minimum (200-300watts). :confused:

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

That lighting is very weak... From what you are describing it sounds like power compacts.

You can keep stuff pike zoas and frogspawn

5. ReefWizard

ReefWizard Coral Banded Shrimp

It's power compact (PC). Depending on what kind of corals you want to keep, you might want to consider upgrading. You can keep beginner corals like mushrooms and zoas but you may not get significant growth considering the size and depth of your tank. I used 2 PCs on my 26 nano and currently using 250W MH + 2 PCs on my 65.

Side note - love the rimless tank.

6. FISH NEWB

FISH NEWB Astrea Snail

cool thank i guess i will consider upgrading my lighting . thanks again for the help. i had a feeling it was to weak. :)

7. FISH NEWB

FISH NEWB Astrea Snail

i got on craigslist and i found a 48'' fixture with 4x65 watt bulbs for 100 buck brand new in box. is this enough light to keep soft corals and sponges?

8. Click Here!

9. ReefWizard

If you are looking at the light within that price range, it's a good buy (given it is a good brand). Yes, it's enough for softies and sponges.

10. FISH NEWB

FISH NEWB Astrea Snail

cool i think i am going to pick it up. i dont plan on having hard corals or clams in the tank i know hey require a stronger light. thanks again ReefWizard.;D the brand of the light is a jebo.

11. ReefWizard

jebo is not a good brand. FYI. I hear complains about them all the time from busted ballast to catching fire. I'm serious. It's not a good buy if it's jebo.

12. FISH NEWB

FISH NEWB Astrea Snail

what if i just make it my self buy, ballast,wire,bulbs timer. do you think it will be as efficient then just buying one?