Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Frizza, Jan 23, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

Hello,

I think my tank has finished cycling, I used the cocktail shrimp method and after 3 weeks my levels have all dropped and the reading are as follows:

SG: 1.022
    Nitrite: 0
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrate: 5-10
    Calcium: 450

Right now the tank has a covering of brown algae, most on the substrate and rocks, not much on the glass at the moment. It has been like this for a week and I'm not sure if it should be turning green by now?! I'm hoping that this is normal.

The tank has some green polyps that where already on the live rock and they seem to be doing well and growing, and a few starfish also seem to be growing nicely (they also came with the live rock).

I am looking to add a couple of clown fish soon and I don't know whether I should wait until the algae changes or maybe add some snails and crabs first?

My last question is whether or not or I should try and clean the algae, e.g. give it a scrub! I removed a little from the substrate but within a few hours it grew back!!

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

It looks ;) er sounds normal to me. If the algae is bothering you then you can scrub it off with a toothbrush (use your sisters :) ) Then you can put some carbon in your fluval to help clear up the water and smell if necessary.
    Remember to go slow with the fish. Add the clowns as a pair if you want but wait at least a month before you add any more fish.
    The algae, brown and green and cyno are part of the maturation process of the tank. Keep it under control while it is still controllable.

Jim

4. Frizza

Thanks for your reply,

Just a note to say that the water in the tank is crystal clear, I already have carbon in the filter as well as some media in the skimmer.
    The algae isn't bothering me too much as it now looks a bit more natural but I assume that the green algae isn't far away?!

As far as putting in a clean up crew should I wait for the green algae to appear or will they eat the brown stuff?

I still have not performed a water change as I'm not sure whether to wait or not!

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I would just leave it there and put something to removed it like red slime remover or Tropical Science's phosphate pad w/ cyanobacteria formula.

6. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

How are your removing it? If you are just scrubbing it off, the nutrients remain in the system and the algae just grows back. If you stir things up, you need to clean your filter pad within a few hours before the algae breaks down and returns the nutrients to the tank. This should be done pretty much as soon as the water clears. Check your phosphates. As others have pointed out, Phosban or a phosphate removing pad can be a strong addition at this point.

7. Frizza

At the moment I am not removing any of the algae. The tank has just finished cycling and I understand that an algae bloom is fairly normal. However, I do not know if I just let things run its course or put some measure in place to stop it getting out of hand. It seems to be pretty stable, e.g. the algae does not seem to be getting more dense.

8. Click Here!

9. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

Everything seems normal to me. But one thing i did notice is that you have Lava rock in your tank. i have been told never to do this because of high copper content. Don't mean to highjack your thread but anyone have a take on this?

10. Frizza

I only have very small pieces of lava rock. A few books I've read did not highlight any issues with using lava rock hence why I got some but as you pointed out that it could be a problem I thought I'd do a quick search. As far as I can tell there are mixed opinions whether lava rock is suitable or not which is suprising and also very bad that publisised books do not mention any potential issues!!
    If there is a high copper content then wouldn't my polyps be suffering? I also have another kind of coral that has attached itself to the lava rock and seems to be doing ok! I will get myself a copper test kit just to make sure and for peace of mind, anything else I should test?

Back on the algae issue, would snails and hermit crabs quite happily munch on the brown stuff (diatoms)?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would always get a clean up crew first and wait on the fish. but first I would suggest you raise your SG it appears to be a bit on the low side. 1.022 is ok of Fish only but I would take it up to 1.026 if you are going to have corals.

With the initial algae out break you can wait it out. But that drove me crazy. I ended up using a 1/4 inch syphon tube and would suck it off the rocks when ever I did a water change. It came right back the next day but at least it made me feel better. It should naturally clear up in a week or two more.

J

12. Frizza

Thanks Jason,

I wasn't too sure what to get first but at least a clean up crew should keep the algae in check, hey at least they have plenty of food! :p

I have yet to perform a water change so I will do this before adding any little critters.