Is this ick?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Mawnkey, Nov 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

I'll stay away from that option lol. I bought some prime and I'm going to be adding that to the water

2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

that's something i left out. Good thinking! Prime is great in these situations. but dont waste your money on the ammonia badges they make, they are worthless

4. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

No problem. I don't really have an issue with ammonia

5. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

Why you can not just use water from display tank to avoid cycle. My bio wheel always is in my sump just in case too. Is this not enough to avoid new tank syndrome?8)

6. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

This wouldn't work. I think corraline stated earlier that the bacteria is on hard surfaces not in the water. Right now I just started my qt 10 gallon tank and i have a hang on back in my sump as well getting the good stuff on it

7. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

Guys what should i put into my qt tank to cycle it?

8. Click Here!

9. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I meant the ammonia badge in your QT. You will more than likely have some ammonia spikes in your QT. Because you really can't keep any live rock in there to process the bad stuff. (i.e. ammonia,nitrites) You will want to dose Prime each day after adding the fish to break the ammonia down.

And as far as cycling the QT, you need to back to my post about the sponge filter and live rock rubble. Those are the things that need to be put in your DT for 2 weeks to accumulate the bacteria, so your tank won't really have to go through a hard cycle. After the 2 weeks, add the HOB filter with and a sponge filter, and maybe put some LR rubble in the HOB too. That way your water will be able to handle you putting in all your fish at once. And I would also suggest feeding very lightly.

10. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

11. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

also maybe add a bio booster to help cycle the tank quicker...ive had ich in my tank before doesnt seem to cause much of a problem unless the fish are stressed

12. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

I plan on monitoring the fishes behavior while I get this tank set up and see how they cope. If everything seems fine ill just keep them ib thier own tank