Is this ick?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Mawnkey, Nov 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

That was kind of what I wanted to do

2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

well, I never WANTED to do that, but it became something I couldnt not do. After watching the fish get worse, and then having to wait on the tank to cycle was really hard. Then I had to break down my entire display just to get the fish out. And even waiting for the tank to cycle was a pain, because I still had a spike or mini cycle after moving the fish. Because you cant keep a bunch of live rock in there if you plan on treating the tank with medication. Then the barebottom part made some of fish swim funny because of the weird downward reflection. So I added some sand, even though you shouldnt. I have probably done about 50 water changes, and spent about $500 bucks on all the things to do it....water,filters,heater, tank.

So if you really want to do it right, setup a proper size tank that can house all your fish, and let it cycle completely before moving them over, or you will have a disaster on your hands. And be prepared to do lots of water changes, and test your water daily. It has been a lot of work and it has sucked, but I am happy with my decision to do it. And hopefully I can start adding fish into a parasite free tank here in a few weeks.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

Dowtish I think I will set up a tank to do that. I have 1 puffer, 2 clowns, and 1 6 line wrass. They are all still very small. What size tank should i use? I have a 10 gallon I can start cycling today

5. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

Also while letting a qt tank cycle could I set up a hob filter on my dt sump and let that get covered with bacteria and transfer it over with my fish once the qt cycles?

6. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Yes, you will want to put a HOB filter on your display for about 2 weeks, with some sort of filter floss or bio-wheel. If you have any live rock rubble in your tank, use that as well. If you have some rubble not in your tank, throw some in to get some bacteria rolling on those too. You will want to purchase a sponge filter as well.Ista Hydro Bio Sponge Filter
    they are cheap and hold bacteria really well. put that in your display too for a couple of weeks.

Set up the 10 gallon in a place where there isnt a lot of traffic, and if you can black out the back and the sides. you wont need powerful light at all. low light is actually preferable. you will also need an airstone of some kind. because if you end up using any meds, they will deplete the oxygen in the tank. and if you get an ammmonia spike, the extra Co2 will help. Have plenty of RO/DI ready, and make sure it is the same temp when you do a water change. if you are going to do hyposalinity, you MUST have a refractometer. and READ READ READ!
    Hyposalinity: how-to; when-to; how-long-to - Reef Central Online Community

7. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

Thank you downtish I will get on it right away

8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

With a QT tank the best thing is to do what you have mentioned. Get a HOB filter or something like that and run it in the DT sump for a couple weeks. I just keep my sponge or biowheel in my sump to keep it ready and when it is time to QT a new fish I remove the water from the DT and hook up the filter wtih the biowheel filter. Then be prepared to do frequent water changes.

IF you choose to do copper (which with the puffer you can not) DO NOT ever put the filter part back into your DT. It only takes a trace of copper to kill coral/inverts.

HUFA is as said above highly unsaturated fatty acids. There are a number of supplements that you add that contains these, my favorites are selcon and amino-omega from brightwell. Certain foods wll also contain HUFAs such as RODS food.

Again, your choice but I would not recommend moving the fish right now, espicially if they are eating and acting healthy otherwise. IMO will just add more stress

Be glad that it is just ich. Again I am never concerned with ich if they are feeding, however in my area there is a big outbreak of velvet. I know of 2 tanks that are 200+gallons that have been completely wiped out with velvet after adding 1 fish to their system

10. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Here's a thought.......

If moving the fish is too stressful, why not move the corals and inverts to the QT, and then do the hypo in your DT, leaving the fish alone.......

11. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

I thought about that but I read somewhere that it would kill my live rock. Is this true

12. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

yes this is true. You have millions of living things in your live rock. and all of those would die off, causing your tank to completely crash and kill all your fish at the same time.