Is this ick?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Mawnkey, Nov 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

I will buy a heater and move all my fish into qt. I will change my water often to avoid issue with over crowding. Does this sound like a start? And i will buy the additives to help the fish move into qt.

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

+1 on Coraline and Vinney comments. I would leave the fish in the tank and just ensure that the water is good and that the fish is eating.

Almost all fish have the ich parasite on them (at least majority of them) Ich is kind of like staph on our skin. We all have various types of bacteria on our skin and never have an issue. However stress our immune system out with either a cut, illness etc, and then the bacteria becomes a problem and infection occurs.

The major stressors fish have is 1. water coniditions (salinity swings, temp swings, ammonia/nitrate etc) 2. stress from acclimation and/or other fish bullying 3. poor food selections.

So what can you do........ ensure that the water is stable and the temp remains constant. Feed foods high in HUFA and vitamins. Feed high quality foods with things like Selcon or amino-omega added.

As long as fish is eating dont worry too much about it. It will usuallly be able to recover.

And no matter what you do, never dip or medicate a puffer fish. A FW dip will kill a puffer and they can not take copper at all.

1 person likes this.
  4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

dont move your fish. It will just stress them out more. Plus how big is the tank and how many fish you going to move over to a 10g. Leave them be

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

+ 10000

These considerations went completely out of my head and are extremely important.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

+1 Can't stress this enough.(no pun intended) Moving the water from your existing tank to a qt tank will do absolutely nothing because the beneficial bacteria do not live in the water they live on hard surfaces.Also by overcrowding we are not just talking water quality.We are talking about putting all your fish into a small tank which will most likely cause more harm/death.

7. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

poor poor beautiful gorgeous fish

8. Click Here!

9. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

Okay I will leave then in my dt. The water seems fine. My biggest concearn is that this is the second time I was able to see the parasite on the fish. And I just noticed white spots on all but one of my fish. I'm guessing by the what I read that it did a complete cycle and is now attacking all my fish. I will from now on qt all my fish. What should i do to keep a cycles qt? Also I read on one of the links that they did not keep the qt set up, that it was only placed again after a fish was going to be added into his system. I suppose that by keeping the hob filter running in the sump he created the necisary bacteria on that to be able to keep a small qt running. Am I correct on that?

10. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

What is HUFA

11. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

sorry for this thread hijacking but schmackel i cant help but picture mr. beefy from little nicky saying anything you post lmao back on to subject

as long as system parameters are fine, diet is fine, and other stressors are removed the fish will more than likely be fine....ick alone usually doesnt kill but that with stressors does

12. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone