Is this ick?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Mawnkey, Nov 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

[​IMG] if this ick, what can I do to save my puffer? My tank has coral, and i do not have a tank for quarantine. Thanks guys.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

4. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

The photo is a bit blurry (I know it's hard to take clear pics sometimes) but if it is in fact is ick, you truly can't get rid of it with the fish inside the tank. Ick has a life cycle that starts from a cyst, that ruptures into free swimming parasites, that burrow into the fish, grow into a visible white spot that houses more parasites, and falls off the fish as another cyst that starts the whole thing over again. To eliminate the parasite, you need to take 'fish' out of the equation, and within 8 or so weeks the ick starves itself out, and only then can you put the fish back in. If you don't have a QT, then perhaps you could leave the infected fish with your LFS in a solitary quarantine tank if they'll do you that favor. Then you could dose the fish with some antibiotics to cure it.

5. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

The only issue is I have more fish in my tank. I don't know what to do. And i doubt my lfs would do that for me

6. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

I have a 10 gal I will set up. I don't have a spare heater though. I did talk to someone local that said he kept his tank at 71 degrees and that the fish where fine and that the parasite could not survive at that temp. Is this true?

7. Corailline

You really need to read the link myth and facts of marine ich otherwise I would not even bother.

Considering your present situation I would add garlic and or selcon to the fish's diet, reduce any stress like over crowding, bullying or questionable water quality and parameters.

I can pretty much promise that if you stick that fish in an uncycled QT without a heater you will have a bad outcome quicker and leave the fish without a fighting chance.

Look to the research that I provided in the links not speculation.

Marine Ich is a parasite, antibiotics are of no value for the parasite, only secondary infections.

8. Click Here!

9. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

Thank you, I read that article, very very informative. Well I don't have a cycled qt. Would it work if i used a 10 gallon and bought a heater for it and ran it bare bottom with new rodi water at .010 and kept him there for 8 weeks? If i did this when would i change the water, and what temp should I keep it. I know its not cycles but idk what else to do. Reading the facts has me hopeless.

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

You would have to remove all the fish. Removing just the fish with visible signs of infection will not get rid of the parasite from your system. I am of the opinion that as long as the fish is eating its immune system will eventually be able to fend it off. If you can't leave the tank fallow its not worth removing him.

11. Corailline

It is extremely frustrating I know.

If you have other fish in the display it will do no good to remove the puffer, once you re-introduce it back into the display it will become re-infected most likely.

Marine ich is completing it's life cycle in the substrate you just can no longer visualize it.

If you do go with the 10 gallon you will need some Prime, an ammonia alert, freshly made up SW for wc when appropriate, heater and flow for just the basics.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/fish-diseases/life-cycle-marine-ich-96343.html

Marine ich cost the marine fish industry millions upon millions of dollars every year. If there was an easy fix it would make big news.

Stress reduction, quality diet are probably the most important treatment or prevention of symptomatic ich IMO.

12. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I agree with Corailline on this. It looks like ick to me as well. Unless you can do a 10gal water change and save the water for your qt tank, but you need a heater.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Epic Touch using Tapatalk.