Is this Ich?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by hippychic, Sep 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hippychic

hippychic Astrea Snail

Hi everyone,

About 2 weeks ago I got a Flame Angel, just recently I've noticed some spots on it and want to know if it's Ich. I suspect it is, but I have misdiagnosed a fish before!

Can you please look at the pictures I've attached and tell me what you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. Click Here!

3. sweetriden76

sweetriden76 Coral Banded Shrimp

could be, I thought my talbot damsel had ich the other day too though, and after coming home and noticing he was clean realized copepods must have crawled on him while he was hiding at night and hung on for awhile...HOWEVER, angles are more susceptable to ich along with tangs and some other, a lot of info I read says that a good cleaner shrimp will help keep it away...but I dunno the proper treatment if it already has ich...someone else will be able to help though I'm sure...

4. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

I have recently seen similar "tufts" on one of my clownfish (of which I have had for years), and they went away within a couple of weeks. Usually crypt is much smaller (about the size of a grain of salt), and much more numerous than just two spots. It is possible to only have two crypt spots, but IME, these spots will probably go away on their own. But the highest of water quality should be mantained to prevent other symptoms and potential problems. I VERY commonly see these on new fish, and every time they have resolved themselves. Another indicator of crypt would be the number of gill movements per minute and flashing. Is the fish gilling fast (around 85 gill movements per second) and/or flashing?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  5. hippychic

hippychic Astrea Snail

Thanks for the quick responses!

Nope the fish's gills are not moving fast, 85 movements per second? that's really fast!

Does flashing mean rubbing himself up against the stuff in the tank, i.e. rocks etc? If so then he's not doing that either, he's behaving as normal.

I'll keep the water quality high too, thanks for the tips :)

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Looks like ich to me! Try reducing the salinity of your water slowly for about two weeks, to stop the cycle. A value around 1.010 is sufficient! Once you no longer see symptoms of the ich, you can then raise the salinity to the optimal level of 1.024-1.026 again...making the correction slowly as well!

7. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

But the fish isn't acting as though it were infected with crypt (no rapid gilling or rubbing/flashing). These look like perhaps a type of lymphocyistis.

Refer here: FishProfiles.com - Disease Profile

I have had many new arrivals with this. Would it be possible to take closer pictures to see more specifically what it looks like? I do realize though that lympho ususally i on the fins, but I think it can goto the body too (in some les common occasions).

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

If you're going to decrease your SG, don't decrease by more than .002 per day. On the flip side, do not increase by more than .001 per day.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

It depends on the stage of the ich and how far it has advanced to see the full effect and symptoms, such as rubbing and elevated breathing. Rubbing will be associated with lymphocyistis as well, but the blotches will increase in size unlike that associated with and evident with the white sugar sized grains illustrated by ich.

11. hippychic

hippychic Astrea Snail

Today one of the spots has gone, it's just the spot that's on his head that is left. And he's still behaving normally.

Do you think I should start hyposalinity in case? Or wait and see what happens?

12. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

How long has the spot been there (until it fell off)?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008