Is this ich?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by gabbyr189, Jun 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

We recently went though a tank move from a 37g to a 90g. We also moved to a new apartment. Since the stand wasn't ready, all livestock were stored in a rubbermaid tub for a week.. Mostly all the coral did fine, and all livestock is still alive. The levels were fine, with frequent wc's.
    Temp: 79 (thermometer)
    pH: not tested
    SG: 1.026 (hydrometer)
    NH3: 0 (API)
    NO2: 0 (API)
    NO3: 0 (API)

After letting the new tank run for a week, we tested the levels:
    Temp: 77.7 (temp probe)
    pH: 7.9 (pH probe)
    SG: 1.025 (hydrometer)
    NH3: 0 (API)
    NO2: 0 (API)
    NO3: 0 (API)
    PO4: 0.01 (Hanna Checker)

The fish we have aren't really prone to ich:
    Melanurus wrasse
    Clown fish
    Yellow watchman

The YWG has some white spots on him..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What is this?

2. Click Here!

3. ReEFkInG35

ReEFkInG35 Plankton

Hello there
    That looks to me like Cryptocaryon irritans. This is a marine itch that is sometimes fatal depending on how long its been on the fish. I have been reading about this a couple weeks back and found out this may cause loss of appetite, irritation, and death within 3 to 5 days. There are liquids you can buy for this at your local fish store, but not sure how much it costs or which brand is good and reef safe.
    To be honest with you when one of my fish get this itch I do a chlorine free freshwater dip for 5 seconds and itch clears within 2 days.
    Many people may read this and say I do not know how to care for my tank but really what they dont know is that even though this method is cheap, in the wildlife these fish go to colder water to kill the itch. Their is no itch X and so on. If you have a lot of coral as well you could harm them if you buy a liquid to kill the itch because many are not reef safe.

Hope this helps and if you need instructions on how to do a freshwater dip let me know and I will help you and direct you step by step.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Does not look like Ich to me. The spots are much too big. Looks like it could have been stung by a coral or anemone. Also doing a fresh water dip will do nothing to help Ich. If it is on your fish then the system is infected and doing a dip will just stress the fish.
    Heres a good link on Ich and how to battle it.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/fish-diseases/life-cycle-marine-ich-96343.html
    Is the fish still eating? If it is I would just keep an eye on it and other inhabitants for a while. You can also help boost the fishes immune system by adding some Selcon to its food.;)

5. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

IMO to blotchy looking to be ich, could be a bacterial infection.

6. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

+1 Vinnyboombatz

1 person likes this.
  7. gabbyr189

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure that there is anything I can do though. There is no way that I'm catching this guy. He lives under the rocks with the pistol shrimp... Anytime I got near them in my old tank they would shoot under the rocks faster than a speeding bullet.

I wonder how this could have happened.. I haven't added any new fish in months and months.. Maybe even a year? Could it be something in the water that they are more vulnerable to when stressed (similar to ich)?

I hate to say this, but there is no way that I am adding liquid medication to my tank.. I am very against adding chemicals to my tank (besides dosing two part). I did once dose interceptor, but that was to save the valuable acropora in my tank, and a lot of it.. Blindly dosing unknown chemicals (aka medications and liquid supplements) often leads to more serious problems.. If you don't know what you're adding, then how can you know how to fix it?

There are no signs of this on my other fish. Is there anything I can do to protect them? Or if they catch it, save them? With a little effort, these fish can be caught and relocated..

8. Click Here!

9. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Looks like an injury to me not a disease. Maybe during moving he rubbed up against a rock wrong or like Vinny said he a sting from a coral or something. Should heal fine just keep an eye on it and make sure he doesnt develop a secondary infection

10. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

+1 to a injury of type

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Gabby it does not have the typical characteristic grains of salt look that marine ich does. I too am leaning towards an abrasion, possibly caused burrowing.

12. gabbyr189

Okay. I haven't seen him in the past 24 hours. This isn't that unusual, as I am at work all day, and they are not always out. When I get home today I will feed them and see if he comes out. I'll update later!