Is this good lighting? (75g)

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by slo_rex, Dec 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leigh

leigh Flamingo Tongue

I don't think everything will be garbage. But if he makes sure the things he does purchase are the best bang for his buck he will have more success.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

If you go T5HO you will not need more than 4 bulbs. Aquatic Life is a good fixture. They have linkable fixtures so you can buy a 2 bulb fixture to start and then add another 2 bulb fixture when you go to SPS coral or clams.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Here is an idea for budget friendly starter lighting:

Aqua Pro 60W 20X3W CREE LED Aquarium Reef Tank Light White Blue Aluminum USA | eBay

I use this exact one on my 55. I have no intentions of doing any high light requirement corals in this tank, as it will likely not be able to meet the requirements (although I do have a very small frag of a Green Slimer that is doing good so far!). It has individual cords for daylights and actinics, so you can use timers on each one. So far it has been great for softies, Zoas, frogspawn, favia, and acans.

You could use this until you save up and can get better fixtures.

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

2 of those and one would be in really good shape.

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Not a bad idea either. The only downside is no dimming. I do like how one unit does a good job lighting a 4' long tank!

7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

For acclimation purposed, one could raise them up if necessary. I have gone years without having a "dimmable" fixture. That's not a luxury with MH so I have never worried about it.

8. Click Here!

9. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

I am running an aquatic life t5ho fixture (6bulb) and could not be happier. Getting a brand that has a good reputation and build quality is so important in this hobby. If you try and save up for a good brand up front you will thank yourself later. That way you wont have to replace a broken fixture or decide to upgrade to something better, both are more expensive in the long run. As 2in10 stated they have a linking system, i would look into it. Start out with a 2 bulb with good bulbs (ATI is great) and get used to soft coral and lps coral. When your ready for sps linkup to a four bulb fixture. That will allow you to keep pretty much anything.

10. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

cool/cold white and RB only = why bother
    IMO
    You could do 4-5 PAR38 bulbs, or a diy LED kit.