Is this fish able to be put into a reef tank?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by BioFreak, Sep 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BioFreak

BioFreak Feather Duster

Flagfin Angelfish
    Apolemichthys trimaculatus

What do guys think? Will I have any issues? I was planning on one for a 240 gallon reef tank.

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I'm sure you already read this, but this is what liveaquaria has to say:

The Flagfin Angelfish, also referred to as the Threespot Angelfish, is a brilliant yellow with blue lips, a dark blue-black dorsal spot where the head joins the body, and a light tan spot behind the eye.

Provide plenty of other hiding places in a 125 gallon tank or larger as the Flagfin Angelfish is quite shy early on and should be the only angel in the tank. Not a good reef dweller, the Flagfin Angelfish is prone to nip at sessile invertebrates (soft and stony corals) and clam mantles.

This is a difficult angelfish to keep due to its dietary requirement of sponges and its poor ability to adapt to other foods. Expert aquarists may have success by providing a mixed fare of sponge-containing frozen angelfish rations, vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, a plethora of plant material, and live rock for grazing and hiding.

4. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

5. BioFreak

BioFreak Feather Duster

Thank you for your response.

No first time I've seen this article Thank You. I think like you, do from what I read. Most fish are often miss-categorized do to one or two bad fish experiences. I have read multiple articles and books that state Maroon Clowns should never be in a reef tank as they are bullies and will pick on the other fish. I have had mine in a reef for the last 5 years and they don't bother the other fish unless those fish swim into their nesting grounds.