is this fin rot?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Peredhil, Mar 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

This is my Royal Gramma. If you've followed my tank thread, you know I've been assuming this is from harassment from either my female clown or from the 6-line wrasse (wrasse being most likely in my mind). I have not seen any harassment though.

I just want to check that it is not actually fin rot - because that would require a different approach on my part.

It is the only fish showing any signs of stress (other than my firefish being kind of skinny). Coincidentally, my blenny jumped right after this was noticed...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks.
    EDIT: these pics are a week old. The Gramma has been in hiding and breathing heavy. The fin damage is worse now than as seen in these pics.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I would say no, being that its only on the one fin and just by the way it looks.
    It could be nipping. Also, where does it sleep? My Hippo tore of nearly its entire pectoral fin once just sleeping, since it's hidey hole is so deep in the rocks. Fish can and do hurt themselves all on their own sometimes, so it might not be aggression either. Just something to consider.

5. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Not quite sure but I do see the coloration is not looking so hot. If it were from being bullied and looking as bad as he is I would think that you would have seen some signs by now of harassment. I would lean more toward disease then harassment for that reason of not seeing any thing out of the ordinary.

6. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

I cant tell from the pic if it is or not. Is there any kind of white/ opaic (sp) coloration on the tail? I want to say that is it is something due to the fact that his behavior has changed. I just cant tell you if it is tail rot or not, from those pics. IMO there is something go on with this little fella, and i would quarintie him sooner then later.

plus with harrasment, it not just the fins that are hit. I usually have marks on the bodies when my fined friends get into a quarl

7. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Looks to me like harassment...

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Hmm, all good points to consider. I don't notice any white dots.

He barely comes out at all anymore. (past few days). Does dart out when I feed, grabs something, and goes back to hiding. Can't get updated pic. :-/

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

it no longer matters. this fish was attached to my filter intake this morning with no tail.

But his colors are beautiful! Poor little dude. He's now in my fridge. I will cut him up and feed him to my corals/anemones tonight.

11. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

I'd have gotten him into the QT or tried a rock rearrange if he was getting beat up that bad. I saw a clown in the background of one of your pictures and they can get territorial, and violent.

Condolences on your loss.

12. Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Whisky Tango Foxtrot Skunk Shrimp

Sorry for your loss man... Its an awesome fish too... +1 on the quarantine ASAP for next time...