Is this enough light

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by jaymostella, Mar 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

My Tank - 125 gallon (72" x 18" x 22"(tall)

i'm considering replacing my two retro fit 250w mh with a combo unit that has 3 150w mh, 4 96w t5's and moon lights. It is a used light I found for a great deal. Currently I have no actinics I just run the mh's..

Question - The total wattage of the mh on the new light is 450 where I have 500, but it also has an additional ~400 watts.. Is that enough to grow about any coral or not? Has 3 20k brand new bulbs...

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I would think that you would be able to grow whatever you want. I would PM member 2in10 and ask John.

4. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

I have also found a 3x 250w combo light set.. Is the 3 250w way overkill? Is there a way to dial down the output of the light if so??

5. newguy420

newguy420 Skunk Shrimp

IMHO, 250's are a lil overkill. On my 120, which is 24" deep, I have trouble with placement because of what seems to be too intense lighting. My crocea clam, which is light loving, does much better on the sandbed than it ever did anywhere higher up. Although, reflectors can make all the difference so in my case, that may have been a contributing factor. On a 125, I'd probably look more at 150w or LEDs.

6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

MH are power hogs. If you can, I would go with LED's. They are more efficient and will save you money on your power bill and in bulb replacements as well.

7. fragginawsome

fragginawsome Skunk Shrimp

+1!!!