is this crab reef safe?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by solomon, Apr 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BoB123

BoB123 Spaghetti Worm

+1 thats what i do.

2. Click Here!

3. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

its a acropora crab i have a few in my tank. the funnest thing is when they square off against a hermit for getting to closes

4. weems23

weems23 Astrea Snail

Go with the hairless theory. Hairless = probably okay. Acro crabs are crazy good for the coral their on and at the worst if it is bad, crabs are generally easy to catch with traps at night. So you could remove it later if it starts getting real big or destructive.

5. solomon

solomon Astrea Snail

Thanks all for your helping answers and information! I placed him in my sump for now and hope he will live without the coral and see what happens. I wouldn't consider throwing out a living animal just because i cant id him only if im sure that its bad.

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Nice find!

How long have you had the coral he was on, and what kind of coral was that anyway? Hard for me to tell from the pic.

If you want my opinion- yup, I have one too.

Put him back in your DT where he came from! As many others have said on this thread- it's probably beneficial to the coral, ecosystem, etc.

My question about time, if you've had the crab awhile, and if he stays pretty much on one coral- and you've had that a while, and the coral is fine, then no brainer to me- keep him there and enjoy your diversity!

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Pointy claws usually bad.
    Rounded claws usually good.
    I would never take a chance if I wasn't sure exactly what it is.There are things in the ocean no one has seen let alone the thousands of species that we do.
    Too many unknowns in nature to play Russian Roulette in your system.;)

8. Click Here!

9. solomon

solomon Astrea Snail

I have some bad news i kept it in my sump and in the beginning he seemed fine but i checked today and he was dead i guess he needed the coral to host in to survive :(