is this crab reef safe?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by solomon, Apr 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

FWIW, most crabs are generally safe, feeding mainly on algae and leftover food, until they mature. My first guess is juvie Emerald, but I won't swear to it. :)

2. Click Here!

3. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Its definately a commensal (good) crab that lives on acropora coral and helps them fight off bugs like red bugs etc. A good guy to have in the tank.

4. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

5. solomon

solomon Astrea Snail

I was up till late to find some info i stumbled upon a crab called "Tetralia nigrolineata" i tried Google and it seems to be a kind crab that lives in all kinds of corals and its blending in to the colors of the coral its living in that explains y it was hard for me to see him at first because he looked like a part of the coral btw the corral im talking about is the third pic i uploaded . please let me know if it makes any cent to u?!? Thanks

6. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Do the back legs look like the have a paddle. It doesn't look like the tetralia to me. The claws just don't look the same. If the back legs have the paddle I would venture to say some sort of portunadai like Swisswiss said.

7. Laborator

Laborator Astrea Snail

8. Click Here!

9. solomon

solomon Astrea Snail

do you have a reason y?

10. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

do you have a reason to not?!!?

hitchhikers are like food thats been in the fridge a bit too long, when in doubt....throw it out!!

If you cannot positively ID, then I would consider it a pest, just to be safe. I had a rogue(hitchhiker) crab in my tank. I was trying to catch that thing for months, little bugger was quite destructive!!

11. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Not exactly. There are many hitchhikers that are beneficial and a great part of a CUC or some other good purpose in our reefs. I dont get rid of anything unless I see it doing harm. Being so small and hairless it is probably a harmless little guy. Hairy crabs are the ones we tend to need to banish to a sump of some sort.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I hope it turns out to be this :).....I love sea crabs. They're very cool to watch and if this one changes color with the coral, that is really neat.

It looks like exact shape as an emerald crab really....