Is this brown cyano? Nope it's dinos!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by zesty, Sep 5, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I had this stuff come around when I lowered my lights. I took this picture right before I took this piece out and scrubbed the nastiness off. I didn't put it back in the DT, I threw it into the fuge and it's been free of this brown algae since.

I don't have my params... "boo!! hiss!! " I know I'm heavy handed at feeding. Once I saw this, I slowed way back on feeding and fired up my GFO reactor and up'd my water changes. It's mostly gone now, but some of it still lingers around. I have just never seen this before. It seemed to start from this one piece of rock I have had on the right side of my tank. Well, I decided to glue an acan on there and move to the left side of the tank. I was interested in what would happen with the acan mounted like this, I didn't think this would happen though! Haha!

But, I do have a picture... If that helps.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Kind of looks like Dino to me, not good.

4. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

well that sucks! boo

5. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Will GFO help this?
    I just started using GFO

6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Looks like Dinos. Keep PH high up to 8.4 is suppose to help. Seems hit or miss for some.
    Many people report water changes make it worse. It's free floating and will settle on corals so blast them off and manually remove.
    If you have smooth skin acros you may need to turkey baste them several times a day or they'll lose tissue fast.
    I've had them a couple of times and don't really know what made them go away. Both times I had very low nutrients.
    Some people think a little bit of nitrate help get rid of them.
    Then there is the 3 days no lights treatment some say works but I never tried that one. They say block out all light as in cover up your tank so it can't get any stray light.

7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I was just reading about the PH. I didn't see the water change affecting it negatively. I just did a water change and was planning on upping the water changes...
    I only have one smooth skin and so far it's not been near it. I've been removing any that I see. Right now there is only one spot that is showing up.
    Sounds like I need to get off my duff and get my kalk reactor that's sitting in my closet hooked up. That will show that PH who's boss!

Wish me luck!

Thanks for the help!

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

This is what I did.

Raised pH
    An absolute complete black out for 4 days
    Each day I mechanically removed the Dino let the water settle and cleaned all mechanical filtration.
    No water changes, that made a big difference for me.
    After the blackout I started with 4 hours of lighting, every time I saw a string start to develop I turned the lights back out.

I had clams and sps the only adversely affected coral were my zoanthids, the dino toxin wiped them out.

10. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Thanks! I hope I don't loose my zoas, but I've noticed some that aren't opening up. I was going to run a route of chemiclean, but I wasn't 100% sure that it was cyano. I'm going to cut my light schedule back and raise up the lights a couple inches.

I hope I'm past the worst of it (knocks on wood) there is only one to two small spots of it right now. It was much worse before, the picture is from 2 weeks ago. Since the past 2 weeks, my feeding has been reduced by 2/3rds if not more than normal. I also removed it as soon as I saw it and ran filter socks while cleaning up debris and then removing the socks.

Thanks again!

11. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Last night I got the Kalk reactor hooked up. I'm starting slowly, so I can monitor the levels and not go crazy and OD it.

I've also reduced my lights to a 4 hour period and raised them a few inches.

I sucked all I could see with ingtar_shinowa's err I mean julian's thing the night before with a filter sock on. I left it on until today at lunch. There was only 2 small spots of it, but if I see it, it get's sucked out!

I also saw some growing on my ghetto magfloat/eggcrate frag rack. So, I took all the frags out, took the frag rack out and apart, soaked the pieces in pure 3% hydrogen peroxide for a half hour or so, then scrubbed it with a tooth brush and rinsed. I then dipped the frags that were in that rack in a diluted peroxide solution with tank water, there had to be some on the plugs.

I've noticed that the GFO is working, less of the regular algae on the glass.

I hope I'm staying ahead of the curve on this. That rock in the picture on this post is almost white, like a brand new dry rock sitting in my sump. I don't know if it started from that rock or something else. It's a cool almost tonga shaped piece, so that's why I wanted it in the display. Well, I'm not sure if I'll ever put it back in the display now.

thanks again for all of your help!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    Corailline likes this.
  12. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Do I have Dino? I've been battling this lately. GFO only running a couple weeks.

image.jpg

image.jpg