Urgent Is this algae killing my glove polyps?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by yheartsp, Jan 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yheartsp

yheartsp Purple Spiny Lobster

Hello everyone, thank you for visiting my thread.

I always thought that my glove polyps were declining because some predators were munching on it. It's been declining to the stage where it doesnt open up anymore, since 5 days ago. Now it's becoming obvious that there's this greenish thing growing on the polyps.

My nitrates have always been 0 to 0.1 on my salifert test kit. but recently there's been a red slime algae bloom. i have added phosguard to deal with it.

What should i do? :-/

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. spivver

spivver Astrea Snail

The algae growing on them may have nothing to do with their behavior. That could simply be due to a rise in dissolved organic compounds. I'd run carbon (change it regularly, I change mine about once a week) if you're not already doing that, which will also help with the red slime (takes time, weeks, don't expect an immediate turnaround).

4. yheartsp

What kinda algae are those? i'm running purigen, it's like 80 percent brown now, should i recharge it? i don't run carbon btw. And the polyps are getting smaller and smaller by day, sigh..

5. spivver

spivver Astrea Snail

It is very hard to see in the picture so I really couldn't tell you what kind of algae it is. Maybe someone with more algae identifying experience could.

Recharging the Purigen is not a bad idea. You might also consider running carbon in addition to Purigen, even if just for a few weeks to see if it helps. Just remember though, algae itself including red slime is not a bad thing in and of itself, rather it's indicative of something else going on. Typically with algae it's a sign of rising organics in the water. The fact that your polyps are getting smaller could also be another indication of something, or the two could be unrelated. Each tank is unique..... if the answers were easy a lot more people would be in the hobby!

6. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

What is the flow like in that section of the tank perhaps they are lacking flow ,hence the algea

7. yheartsp

I know that the algae growing on my green star polyps are definitely causing it to stop opening. but it's getting better now ever since i added the phosguard.
    i have a vortech mp40w near the glove polyps, the flow was initially too strong until the glove polyps had troubleopening, now the flow's smaller but the polyps are still getting it. Now i'm just wondering if it's the algae causing it to not open or a predator's work? :eek: