Is this Aiptasia?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by sparxx, Mar 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SaltyFred

SaltyFred Flamingo Tongue

You got to be careful with the kalk though because I heard it can mess things up if not used in moderation. I would go for the hot water method or use a product called Aiptasia X which I found works really well and does not have any ill effects on the tank and I dose my reef tank without any problems.

2. Click Here!

3. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

If you can get the infected piece of LR out of the tank easily, I swear by by the torch it method.

Some of the guys at the LFS thought I was crazy for doing it, but to me messing around with all those other options when you can just get the infected piece out of the tank for 5-10 seconds tops, is the crazy option. None of the other methods seem to guarantee a 100% kill rate. Aiptasia IS NOT coming back from 2400 degrees F heat.

I learned a lesson the hard way. I purchased a zoa frag that was made up of a bunch of smaller pieces of dead coral, all stuck together. I didn't spot any bad hitchhikers, but in retrospect there were tons of hiding places on that frag. The LFS I got it from is very well regarded as well, so I wasn't worried. Anyway, it turned out to have a majano amenome on it, and a few aiptasia.

I was debating just tossing the frag before the pests spread to the rest of my tank. I tried the torch method first.... and it worked great! If you torch it long enough, there won't be any tissue left for new ones to grow. It's also a REALLY satisfying way to get rid of the little pests.

I use a Bernzomatic brand of torch. It's hot enough to get charcoal started quickly without using starter fluid. There are other brands where you just pop a disposable lighter into and it will use that as the fuel source.

4. Yellow Tang

Yellow Tang Bubble Tip Anemone

:clapping::clapping:Nice use of words, that should go on a plaque aboves everybody's tank

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

You know those lighters for candles? Can I torch it with one of those? That thing is pretty strong - I've used to melt thick plastic before so that I could bend it!

6. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

What kind of flame does it give you? A candle like flame, or a welding torch type flame? I think the candle type might work, it would just take a bit longer. The torch gives you a really concentrated burst, which is better if there are other things nearby that you don't want to incinerate. If you go to walmart, or HD, those types aren't much more expensive than the candle types.

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Hmmmm maybe I would like to have a torch on hand...lol. I'll look into it. But the candle one I have puts of a pretty big flame.

8. Click Here!

9. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog! ;-)

If it gives you an intense flame that looks like a jet's afterburner, you're good to go. Those average 2400 F.

10. sparxx

sparxx Plankton

Update :

I bought 2 peppermints and they took care of it all.

Just for good measure, I also took the piece of rock out, dug into the empty whole with a butter knife under running water.

will update this from time to time, have not seen anymore anems.

hope this helped someone else too.