Is this Aiptasia?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by sparxx, Mar 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. UnderTheSea

UnderTheSea Feather Duster

2. Click Here!

3. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I wouldn't do anything to it that would cause it to pop and possibly release spores, but I also like to complicate things just so that I don't risk getting any unwanted hitchhikers. I take a steak knife and use it as a lever to pop the rock apart. I have yet to release any spores into my tank...*knocks on wood*

4. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

No,i meant what's the best method if a coral is attached.I may not be the smartest guy around,but i won't put my coral in freshwater.LOL

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

haha I thought you were making fun of me - like I'd be stupid and put a rock with coral on it in freshwater. lol, that's all! ;)

6. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I would still take the rock out and cut the rock around the aptasia. Your coral will be fine out of water for a minute.

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I'm worried about severely damaging my hand doing this.

8. Click Here!

9. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

Here's my "do this at your own risk" solution. Can you get the rock out of the water easily? If so, grab a lighter torch (not the ones that just give you a weak flame, the ones that give you a super hot torch that looks like a jet's afterburner LOL), take the rock out of the water and nuke the aiptasia with the lighter.

I've done this with great success... The heat from the torch is hot enough that it cremates the aiptasia in a hurry. Being underwater creatures, they don't really have a defence for this. ;-)

Since I did that to some larger ones and added 3 peppermint shrimp to my tank, I haven't seen a single aiptasia. It also works great on majano anemones.

Disclaimer: Don't get all liquored up on St Patty's day and try this! Or if you do, don't blame me for the results. ;-)

10. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Next time I find some aptasia I'll make a video for you. I have learned how to handle a knife properly after many failures.

11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I had an aip on a rock I got some Halimeda attached to a while back, so I took a toothbrush to the rock, and scrubbed it really well under the faucet. Haven't another pop up in its place or anywhere else in the tank since. I imagine you need to be hypercareful with this method to get every last bit, though, as one little bit of aip means you'll get more.

12. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

I've tried this before, but only for about 12-15 hours. It didn't kill it! I was amazed.

Aiptasia is a common pest in Hawaii's flow through aquariums, as it is the only abundant anemone in the surrounding ocean. A few public aquariums use a lime paste or solution (depending on the situation; not the fruit lime). The solution is made by mixing 1 part lime with 6 parts water, and then it is heated until boiling. Unless injected, the kill rate can be as low as 50%. The paste is made to be like a paste... I forget the recipe. It might be just as well though, as a paste may be too strong for a closed system. The aquariums I mentioned are flow through, and I'm not sure if this is a good method in a closed system, but in even our lowest flow tanks, we have not observed a measurable pH change.

I like the torch-it solution though.