Urgent is this a reef compatible star fish??

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by nanomania, Nov 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

2. Click Here!

3. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I could be wrong but I don't think it is an asternia star. Up to you but I wouldn't keep it in a reef. And I don't believe if would be happy in the acrylic breeder.

4. vawdka

vawdka Coral Banded Shrimp

I was wanting to take a stab at this one. I think it is an Asterina but also cushion. There is a strand of Asterina called Asterina gibbosa or Asterina phylactica. I found some information on both. Running short on time now but both of those stay relatively small. Hope this might help steer you in the right direction.

5. nanomania

hey its Asterina phylactica, i searched many pics and compared to my star, looks 90% similar. what should i do?

6. vawdka

vawdka Coral Banded Shrimp

Well, that's your call. What I can tell you though if we are correct on what it is they will remain rather small. I found an pdf of a field study that was done on both species I mention because for many years they were thought to be just one species here and this site claims to know what they eat. Others here claim cushions are bad but from what I was reading about these, either of these particular species, doesn't seem bad for a reef. From what I read when I skimmed over those was that they are scavengers but usually eat algae and seaweed, but seems if some dead flesh is laying around they would eat it. I didn't see anything about them eating corals though.

I personally, if I liked the look of it, would just keep an eye on it for a while and if I didn't notice anything funky going on would just keep it. It's going to stay relatively small.

7. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

I had a friend who had an asternia in his reef, he didnt remove it, a few weeks later there were tons.. Bye bye coral.. Dont risk it, most starfish arent reef safe, brittle stars sometimes are, but most of the thicker legged guys are predatory, but in the end its your call, if you like buying your corals for something to eat thats up to you ;)

8. Click Here!

9. nanomania

lol. i have a huge colony of zoas. and lfs sold me this star for 3$, so i just have 1. if it kills any zoa, il remove it. will see for 3-8 days.

10. nanomania

well till now it has not attacked any corals yet. its hiding in my LR.

11. RubberSideDown

RubberSideDown Astrea Snail

<thread hijack on>

BEST MOVIE EVER.

<thread hijack off>

12. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I've never had issue with rogue asterina stars but I've heard some have. Its very pretty regardless :) when I find things in my tank that I'm not sure about I just watch them for a bit (within reason...)

Sent from my zombie ninja pirate.