Is this a good deal on a 125 SW????

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by snooopidydoo, Dec 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. snooopidydoo

snooopidydoo Coral Banded Shrimp

Hey guys i'm the happy owner of a red sea max, but i want to step it up..

Is this a good deal? (water looks growdy but i could fix that)
    Sounds like it has a sump with skimmer under the tank but they retired it for HOB stuff..

What do you think for $500???

125 Gallon Salt Water Fish Tank

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Looks like one of the lights is burned out in the left half of the tank. It has OBO so I would shoot him a lower price and go from there. The LR alone would pay for the tank since it goes with it. Will take a lot of cleaning but I say it may be worth it.

4. Tundraburg

Tundraburg Bristle Worm

Offer 350 imo and see what happens...

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I think it is a good deal....the lights just look like T5 and not enough for corals but you can purchase that...125 pounds of rock alone would cost several hundred dollars. I just bought 42 pounds of it on sale for 3.50/lb normally 6.00/lb...so on rock alone you are getting a deal.

If you get it though I would have someone hold the rock for you..maybe LFS..take everything down and SCRUB it very well. When I got a used tank I was told to scrub it down with bleach water and then vinegar several times to get whatever might have been used out...that includes the sump and skimmers etc....make sure you get the silicone....

you can always upgrade the lights. I would definately install the sump versus HOB. Plus you can paint the back of the tank versus the paper that they placed....but I think it is a great deal. I spent $300 for a used 72g bowfront, stand and light only....

6. snooopidydoo

Mmk.. you can tell they dont have a clue about what they're talking about!!

I emailed them to get me more/ better pictures.
    I will have to shoot them a lowball.

I just need a bigger tank, and this looks like a good 1 to set the sump back up and get rid of that dangly stuff.

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I would ask why they disconnected the lower sump however...that seems a little fishy to me..like it was leaking or something...if it is a 4chamber sump with a bigger protein skimmer and under stand..something is wrong with the sump. But then again if everythign else is working then you can always replace the sump

8. Click Here!

9. snooopidydoo

Good point. I will have to go examin it very well.
    Either way, i dont think it's a bad deal. I wouldnt want to have to cycle it, should i put the rock and water in trash cans and wash the tank? or will that still make the whole system have to cycle?
    A mini cycle is much more appealing to me.

Thanks for the input.

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

If you are able I would go and look at the tank and check for scratches. Deep scratches will get green algae growing in it and a mag scraper will not take it out. Just something to look for.

11. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Also, I would bleach all the rock completely and make it all base rock. You don't want to inherit any problems they might have, and by the looks of the pics they do have some issues. Take this slow, bleach everything, rock included, and start from scratch. Enjoy watching the cycle while you plan the tank out!!

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

i agree with bmshehan. I would just start all over. I agree it's a pretty good deal, even for $500. You really don't know whats on the rock and you really don't want to have to find out later. I would bleach everything, I think you will be much happier later.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008