Is this a good deal? (Craigslist find)

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by skarz, Sep 23, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skarz

skarz Plankton

Stumbled upon this Craigslist ad and am wondering if you guys think it's a good deal. Here's the description:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Perhaps this is a bit late to respond to this post but I may add a little insite into making a craigslist purchase. The first is that great deals can be had if you are willing to search, travel and walk away if need be. I have done my 180 system with sump, lights rock ... everything for well under 2G and almost everything has been on craigslist. As for this particular set up the tank and stand look ok in the picture and are probably worth about $125. The lights are chinese and are $50 new. The powerbeads are Koralia and used are probably another $50. Rock should be about $2-3/pound, but use caution!!! Getting someone else live rock is also getting any problems that they have, particularly if there is any aptasia. It looks as if there is another $50 in coral by the pics. The fish are not listed so i have no idea what thats worth. Im giving ball park estimates for what things go for in MY area. If you purchase an entire system, you must break it down for transport and you will therefore stir up everything in the tank, possibly causing an ammonia spike and causing big issues. With this in mind, you will need new sand and a place to house the livestock as you set up the system and let it settle in. That to me is a big issue and why i would personally stay away from a whole system purchase. It s been my experience that many people try to get out what they have put into their system and thing that should be the value of their tank etc. The reality is that you should be able to purchase stuff at 20 - 30 cents not he dollar depending on what you are looking for. Understand what they have, what the stuff costs new and what it is worth to you and you can do well. Good luck ad I how this helped!

DSC reef likes this.
  4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

^^^^very good advice

DSC reef likes this.