Is this a... baby mantis shrimp?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by gorillacrab, Nov 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gorillacrab

gorillacrab Astrea Snail

Saw this peaking out of my rock today? Is it a mantis shrimp or????

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm no pro but it looks rather close, I use to have amphipods but they didn't stretch out like that.

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

It could be but not likely IMO.

Even on larval stomatopods the eyes on the end of the stalks are predominant and noticeable.

5. gorillacrab

gorillacrab Astrea Snail

Yea, I didn't think so, but he's larger than any of the pods I've seen in my tank. Also his legs are weird and long. Also the apparent head end seems to be waving. Any ideas on what he is are welcome - thanks.

6. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I am not sure on this one. The legs don't look right, but the eyes and what appears to be raptoral appendages does.

posted with tapatalk please ignore bad spelling and grammar

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

i think it might be some type of mantis possibly? If it is I would say it is a spearer vs smasher as he doesnt have any claws. But it is really hard to say.

What a fantastic picture though that you were able to get something that small so clear!

8. Click Here!

9. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Man that really looks like one. Threads with this title are almost always amphipods or mysis shrimp, but that really looks like a stomatopod to me. It's such a good picture I would feel ridiculous asking for better. Unless you can catch it. And take a picture in a small glass.

posted with tapatalk please ignore bad spelling and grammar

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Send that pic to Dr. Roy Caldwell. [email protected]

Stepho must see something I don't. Definite eyes and raptors.

The body shape and legs are right, I even see feathery looking antennal scales.

But I still think it's something else. Here in SD we have dragon fly larva in our streams that look similar to that thing.

11. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I definitely look forward to hearing what Dr. Roy says.

I was looking at it on my phone and now that its blown up on my 22" monitor I am less convinced, but I still think it can be. Anyway here is what I am looking at.

[​IMG]

The rapt still looks plausible to me, but the eyes do look too small when compared to images of larvae stomatopods. Especially for a Lysiosquillina which I thought the pattern and rapt looked like. They might be right for a Pseudosquilla or something else with smallish eyes.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  12. gorillacrab

gorillacrab Astrea Snail

Well, I emailed the doctor lol. Any thoughts on catching him? Given his scorpion and angler tankmate... he might not last long...