Is this 30 gallon tank overstocked??

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by ara35, Aug 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ara35

ara35 Plankton

1 angelfish
    5 bronze cories
    2 bolivian rams
    8 lemon tetras
    5 kuhli loaches

please comment!! and i am accepting other suggestions completely

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

general rule of thumb is half of inch of fish per gallon, but some go way over without any real consequences.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

No :) close to capacity but a little wiggle room assuming the Loaches are small to med sized ? Not the 7+ inch monsters I used to have :)

5. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I wouldn't say so, although some others would say it is way overstocked. I have about the same in my 36 gallon and it's been running smoothly for a while. To me, the 1 inch per gallon rule is a terrible rule. In my opinion 1 inch of tetra isn't the same as one inch of angelfish or loach or anything else.

6. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

I would have to say no...I think given the output of a sufficient filter the water flow should increase the surface area providing sufficient gas exchange...hence more oxegyn for the fish. Do you have live plants in your aquarium? I would just watch the Lemon tetras as any tetra is usually prone to nip at the fins of delicate fish fins such as the angelfish...

Hope this helps!

7. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

And I agree with LCP136...tetras really don't usually count for the inch of fish per gallon rule...(unless it's a large one like a congo tetra :)

And I believe Kuhli Loaches only grow to about 3-4 inches in captivity.

8. Click Here!

9. ara35

ara35 Plankton

yes i will have live plants, with bright lights and possibly a co2 input

10. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

Most people suggest 3 to 4 watts per gallon for a planted tank. Depending on how densley your planted tank is you may not even need CO2 injection. If you are only housing low light plants you will be okay with 1.5 to 2 watts per gallon. The plants, (as you probably already know) will be great, providing more oxegyn to the water column and helping as a biological filtration. :) I bet your set up is great...I would only be concerned if you happen to witness several or even one of the fish gasping for air at the top of the water...then you know you have a problem. I do not use any CO2 injection and my tank has been doing great...growth, propogation etc.

11. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

12. ara35

ara35 Plankton

no... no pics right now. i only have a picture of my 15 gallon which is what im getting a 30 gallon for. its an old scratched up tank and i want more fish and make it look better. i will be setting it up the first week of septemmber and i am very excited!