Is there such a thing as white hair algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by lightningfront, Apr 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lightningfront

lightningfront Spaghetti Worm

I have what appears to be some form of white algae growing in my tank on the rocks and on the glass. It appears to be hair like but it's not as dense as green hair algae I've seen. There might only be 10-15 hairs per square inch where hair algea is more like 50 hairs per square inch. Also It seems to only grow on the dry rock and glass of the tank. It does not grow on the pieces of live rock that are coraline covered.

Any ideas on what this is and how to get rid of it? It's not terrible as you have to really stare at the rocks to see it and I have to scrape the glass every few days which gets kinda annoying.

2. Click Here!

3. softiegirl

softiegirl Plankton

look up hydroids, could be that.

4. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

Here you go check out Macro algae and or Chrysophytes... there's a few pic's of White Algae/bacterial growth.. Hope one of thoes is a match for you...!!!

Link: Bacterial and Algae Hitch Hikers

Good Luck...!!

5. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

there are also some blue green algae (cyanos) that look like white and yellow hair algae. Nasty stuff, the blue greens are pretty diverse.