is there a creature that eats GSP?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Peredhil, Nov 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

I figured it would lol i lost a chunk in some rockwork , got half burried in the sand no light on it at all and about 3 weeks later it was still alive lol I supose if i can get a decent size chunk i can mail u some puff Or i could just mail you that particular frag lol

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

i think this thing would survive a week in a swimming pool! :p

it has started encroaching on a frag plate for some zoa, so i'll have to pop that off to get it off there.

I think i'm going to move a few corals around and just kalk paste its outward perimeter. i've used kalk a few times with good results and i'm comfortable with it.

was really hoping i could just introduce something that would eat it for me.

i don't know really much about rabbit fish... are they aggressive? general coral nippers, snail/crab eaters... ton of research if i wanted to go that route. but my blenny did just die today... cosmic karma? room for a new fish?! i dunno. i'll have to sleep on that one for a while. ;)

4. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

ha ha ha.... im sure it would live in a nuclear explosion....

5. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

tagging alone peredhil I too have the same problem

6. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

7. tatted4ever

peredhil.... if your stuck by not being able to take the rock out.... I would try peeling it off the rock... I was never successfull due to my rock crevices. Id always leave a tiny piece in a crevice and it would grow back in a flash. Thats why I had to remove the rock and nuke it. Mine was a support rock to my reef also. I just clenched my teeth and did it. Realizing that removing my gsp was worth all the trouble.

If you dont remove the rock and nuke it with muriatic..... then it will be a hard project IME. But best of luck if your gonna try to peel it off. Its hard... I think so at least.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

10. tatted4ever

muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) They sell it at home depot in the garden section. works wonders on lots of task besides removing gsp and xenia ;)

I wouldnt dip the whole rock in it. but gently pour it on the gsp and it will remove the gsp quickly ;D

Muriatic is only $10 for two gallons of it. I keep a gallon of it handy in the garage year round.

11. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I think some of your most common zoanthid-eating snails will eat them. The most widespread, and the ones that often show up in tanks as hitchhikers, are Heliacus areola and Heliacus variegatus (the so-called "Sundials"). Widespread usually equals more generalist feeder, so they might work. Seemed like these things turned up in tanks every day for a while, but I haven't seen anyone post about them in the last month or two. It should still be easy enough for you to get some, I reckon.

Heliacus (Heliacus) areola areola
    Heliacus (Heliacus) variegatus

Cheers,

Don

12. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

My is overgrowning LPS, its growing over my montis, killed one of my favorite acros and needs to die. I took out the rock I could and scrubbed with a grout brush, that worked but if you don't get the stolon completely off it comes back... Plus like in Peredhils tank my 2 major foundation pieces are covered and not coming out with out tearing the tank down...

Good luck all!!