Is the AquaController Apex System Worth It?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by vegasfish, Aug 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Yea I just programmed mine last night.... What a task but thank god for the programming wizard. Be moving my tank this weekend now I just have to plug everything in.

2. Click Here!

3. StrainedSky

StrainedSky Spaghetti Worm

Just got the above of RC MACNA Report (new products) - Reef Central Online Community. Also a new iPhone app is coming.

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Got my Apex yesterday, and the EnergyBar 8 was bad out of box. Awesome, not very impressed at this point. I had to give them a credit card number to get the new one first and apparently even though it had only been out of the box less than 2 hours, ground shipping is the best possible. I need a second EB8 anyhow, so I'm going to see if they can expedite the shipment and get it here by Friday and ship both at the same time. Sucks, I really like the controller, and configuration is very easy.

One thing I was dissapointed with as well is that the RKE has switch inputs out of the box for float valves, etc. Apex doesn't. I do like the build quality better though, the RKE is all plastic, the EB8's are metal. The display of the RKE is waterproof. The Apex isn't (irritating for an aquarium controller display). The RKE will have a web based config utility eventually, Apex already has it. Apex can be flashed over the network. RKE requires dismantling the unit and updating through a USB cable directly, which can be a pain. Half a dozen of one, ya know? I've just never seen any RKE's bad out of box.

Maybe I'll do a full review and comparison of the two once I get everything online :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  5. SoK

SoK Plankton

Bringing this thread back again. I was looking at the RKLt lvl3 for the longest time. I really like the fact that it can do just about everything I need except the net.

One of the big kickers with that is the 2 switchable outlets for redundant float valves for my ATO.

How is this being done with the Apex?

6. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Easiest way is to buy the breakout box for the apex and then wire the float switches to the breakout box. You can also use a mac serial cable by connecting one wire to a pin and then attach the other as a ground to another pin (manual has diagram). I'd rather do the breakout box though.

7. SoK

SoK Plankton

I see that the breakout box is about $40.. Can you just use any float switch pair from there?

which one might you recommend with this controller?

8. Click Here!

9. tatted4ever

yep..... gotta send back the base unit.... my battery is no good. not keeping time when power is disconnected to unit

10. tatted4ever

fwiw Im sending back the base module and the energy bar.

The base module not a big deal the battery doesnt charge for when theres a power failure. it doesnt keep time when power is turned back on.

Also the energy bar outlet #2 doesnt shut off to the programmed times. And it powers my autodoser... so can be potential problem. catchin it on a few hours after it should be off.

So back goes almost everything that was recvd. will buy another energy bar so when they ship back the base and energybar they will ship me another energybar.

what sucks is ive gone back to cheap timers and a not so comfort giving heater controller. good thing I keep back up equipment.

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I sent mine back twice and ended up just getting a RKE.. I miss some of the Apex features but it just didn't work at all for lights.

12. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Same thing I had to do. Bad EnergyBar, and bad base unit. Curt was good about getting both replaced though. Still like the Apex.