Is the AquaController Apex System Worth It?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by vegasfish, Aug 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. StrainedSky

StrainedSky Spaghetti Worm

I hope to have a mini review up by the weekend. I wanted to actually use it a couple weeks before writing anything. So far I haven't had any issues with it (knock on wood). Im glad that I could finally get rid of all the timers a power center I had. My only complaint so far is that it wont work with SSL email accounts for the alerts.My way around this was to setup a free GMX account and foward it to my Mobileme account. Not really a big problem but still an extra hoop. As far as the iPhone app currently with the Apex its a little crippled. You cant see alerts or graphs but you can see whats running and turn them off and on if needed. I have emailed the developer to see if he planning an update with no response. A 3rd party developer writes the app not Neptune. Also if you want a feel for the programming check this page out Ken's Reef - Homepage . He has some good examples and you can also play with the Apex's graphing functions. One other cool thing I forgot is that you can use more then one display and you can also control more then one tank with multiple energy bars. They plan on shipping extra EB's September 1st which I plan on hooking my Mantis tank into the system.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

That was a pretty good mini-review you gave right there! Thanks for the info. I'm considering a controller myself.

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Apex looks nice. I don't think I really need that much power but it isn't all that much more money than the AC Jr. by the time I buy all the extras.(looks like another $140 ish) I doubt I will use the internet but if I change my mind it would be nice that it is already there instead of buying another controller.
    I'm still a little confused .. I read in another thread that the AC Jr..can't control a Calcium reactor. Anyone know if that is true or not? I plan on adding a reactor some day.
    Also does each outlet need to have only one item like for instance I have 2X 250W main lights... can I have both of them on a cord going to the same outlet or do they both need to be directly plugged into the Neptune strips individual outlets to run properly and safely? Just trying to calculate how many outlets I need.

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

ACjr can run a CA reactor :)

If you email Curt @ Neptune he'll help you to the end of the earth :) FWIW he is on a vacation right now so he may be a little slow in replying. he'll be back on the 24th.

6. StrainedSky

StrainedSky Spaghetti Worm

You can actually hook the AC Jr. to the internet using this here. To use two MH's on one outlet you would probably want to use this here. Also the controller can control a calcium reactor as far as im aware.

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Ok.. we're all waiting.. just kiddin(kinda)

Anyone know why they still sell the Aquacontroller 3? or was this the replacement for that/?

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

This is not a current replacement for the ACIII but IIRC it will be in the future once all the accessories are completed.

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

For a basic controller with lots of expandability I don't think anyone can do better than the ReefKeeper Lite from Digital Aquatics. You can find it here for $95:
    ReefKeeper Lite (L1) Bulk Reef Supply

It controls temperature and 4 outlets right out of the box and you can plug in up to 4 modules for as many as 16 controlled outlets or things like pH, salinity and ORP as well as moonlights, lights, chiller, fans etc.

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

IMO the RKE lite is on par with the ACjr. None of the RKE hold a candle to the new APEX though :)

12. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Its not intended to, I said BASIC controller. no one comes close at $99 list.