Is the AquaController Apex System Worth It?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by vegasfish, Aug 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

What I would be controlling is 4 mh ballasts, 4 pc lights, Fuge light, one 3600gph pump, one 6000gph pump, 2 dosing pumps, heater, 2 cooling fans, ATO (on a jbj setup now). I do like the Internet hook up so that I can monitor and receive alarms while away from home. I have an Iphone and there is an application which works with the controller that is pretty cool.

Now I just need to make a decision about $$$$

2. Click Here!

3. mscottring

mscottring Fire Shrimp

You could potentially make everything work with the AC Jr. But it would require third party hardware/software, and some work on your part. In my opinion, you should look at the AC Pro 3. I base this only on the fact that this new system is, well, NEW. I tend to shy away from products that have just been released. Simply because I come from an industry that did just that, and know what bug reports are.

4. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

I myself have been in the market for a controller. I first started looking at the AC jr. But then I realized how many things I have and may have in the future.

I have my heart set on the Apex controller just because I know I will never want to upgrade. lookin to get it with in a month (as long as money goes as planned;))

I called up neptune systems myself.... And the gentleman said that the Apex system has "endless" capabilities for your equipment and system, He said you would run out of money buying stuff to put this controller at its max. This is what neptune rep told me.

So... eventhough my system is fairly basic. No wavemaker or ca reactor. Just good old fashion auto doser, ato, lighting, cooling fans, powerheads, skimmer, ret. pump, and heater I would be controlling with this controller. But I can put to use the remote access feature due to I have web access where ever I am. Vacationing, long day at work... no one home to do this or that. A constant eye on my "baby". Something that we have all invested money and time into. Probably something we all have had some complaining about from your significant other because you spend too much time and money on your tank.

Only drawback... is no one currently has one here to tell us how great it is. This is like the iphone when nobody had it. People waited in long lines just to get something none of their friends had their hands on. I guess we put our faith in a reputable company like neptune systems to put a controller that wiill have people pre ordering and having people be like kids waiting to open presents at christmas time.

I have learned learned... I am going to buy big now... instead of upgrading later and realizing how much money Ive wasted;)

5. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I also use a Jr. and love it. You can program it right from the front panel. It takes away all the headaches of timers, guessing what the pH is in your tank, etc.

6. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

Ok I guess I'm sold. I'll go with the apex with the same mindset as tatted4ever that unless the controller breaks I'll never have to buy a new one even though it is a little over kill at this time.

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Not necessarily disagreeing, just mentioning for those following along.

The computer is just that. It controls the power strips. Then plug in all the probes. Start adding all that up and it gets a little expensive.

If I wanted to upgrade from my AC Jr. all I need is the computer. Not a big outlay. All my hardware is still good. Right now, there are a lot of folks selling their AC III to upgrade to the Apex. Lots of deals. I don't have a need for another controller. A AC III or Pro is quite capable, web access, and can be had on the cheap if anyone is in the market. Good time to buy used. I see one on Reef Central every week.

8. Click Here!

9. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

I love overkill;D

10. StrainedSky

StrainedSky Spaghetti Worm

I have the Apex and love it. Granted Ive only had it a day so far ;D It is also my first controller.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Wise words--of course, the wherewithal is a prerequisite.

What was it Ferris Beuler said about the Ferrari in his Day Off? "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up. . . "

"Foreward compatibility" is a catch phrase IBM used when I worked for them in tech support in 1995. It's how we explained why serial ports were being phased out, and to justify the expense of this newfangled "USB port."

Kidding aside, ever see the the "earplugs" that rock musicians wear during live shows nowadays? They're not only hearing protection, but they're molded to the individual ear canal, they're tinted to blend in with the artist's skin tone and be nearly invisible, they carry multi-track, multi-channel, digital quality sound--that's each instrument in the band coming in on its own frequency--like having your own monitor (as they used to call the amplifiers pointed towards the musicians back in the day of the Beatles, The Who, The Stones, etc.) If you suggested such a device to John Lennon in 1965, he'd have laughed until he died. Now--not only is it a reality, but it fits in your ear, and is; for the most part hidden. To make such a device in the 60's or 70's would have filled an entire room. Now, it fits in an ear canal.

My point here--never underestimate the future compatibility of a device you're about to buy. Even being completely familiar with today's technology, you never know what tomorrow's will be. If it costs a couple hundred more than the next best, and has future compatibility, it might be worth it.

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

May I ask what was the damage? Luna