Is that right?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by artur, Sep 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

I have a question, hope you can clear this for me.That conversation came up when I told him I need to set QT and treat my fishes with Copper. Owner of my LFS when I shop a lot said. " When you set QT few months earlier with live rock in it and copper, bacteria on live rock will die but later < like few months> will seed again when rock got used to the copper. Then it will be easier for you to control Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrate when you put fishes there". Any true in this statement?

2. Click Here!

3. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

HUH?

When you treat a tank, you really don't want anything in it that will absorb/leech whatever meds you use (such as LR). How would you ever know your therapeutic concentrations like this, since you can't control, or even know what's taking place?

When you treat prophylactically, you will be using water changes to control any cycle-related spikes, and you'll need to replenish whatever meds you use according to the directions on the label.

If you do treat with Cu, be sure to use a stabilized/chelated preparation to help maintain efficacy.