Is Purple Up smart?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by byrodoc, Apr 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. byrodoc

byrodoc Astrea Snail

I have some trace amounts of coralline present on my LR and would like to increase it w/o dealing with MG and Ca levels. Is Purple Up a good "all in one" product?? Are there potential downsides to this product?

2. Click Here!

3. DrewGritz

DrewGritz Flamingo Tongue

I use that product and it has slowly worked for me...

I found actually that less light allows for more growth as well...

1 person likes this.
  4. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Some people love it, others like purists hate it as it contains Iodine and there is the old saying "if you don't test for it don't add it"... I personally think it is marketing, how does Ca and aroganite KNOW to target the rock and coraline? Does Ca know to target my bones? NO my body pulls it from the bloodstream and directs it toward bone growth....
    I think that if you have coraline present it will spread regardless if you used it or not.
    Coraline growth is exponental, like a forrest fire, more there is, faster it grows....

I would bet that if you somehow set up an experiment with two identical tanks with and with out Purple up, the coraline would grow just as fast...

Kent now makes a product that mimics Purple Up called Purple Tech, but with out the Iodine....

Happy reefing!

1 person likes this.
  5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

No. All purple up is good for is a CA supplement. There is no magic there. If you want more coraline, and a healthy system, you need to be testing NO3, CA, MG, dKH, and PO4.

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

If you want coraline, or overall health in your reef, you need to deal with Ca and Mg levels. You should be testing them not only to ensure proper levels, but to make sure that your corals have what they need to grow. If you have the proper levels, coraline will grow. But saying you don't want to deal with Ca or Mg levels is asking for trouble. Purple can help, but it's not designed to replace Ca and Mg supplementation.

7. byrodoc

byrodoc Astrea Snail

THanks for the fast responses...I don't want to deal with Ca and Mg because I don't have a reef setup, just FOWLR. I'm currently not in a position to make the next step with corals and am just trying to get some color to my tank. THanks again

8. Click Here!

9. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

If you don't want to deal with Ca and Mg levels, then that means you will potentially be facing tank instability. Ca, Mg, KH, are all tied together, which affects tank pH levels. To get color in your tank, those things *must* be in proper balance, with undetectable traces of NO3 and PO4.

1 person likes this.
  10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I don't like Purple Up. I am of the belief that if you cannot test for it, do not add it. I would get yourself some good Ca, Mg and dKH test kits (Salifert and Elos make good kits). Test, then add those elements accordingly. I use Reef Advantage Calcium for Ca, Epsom salts for Mg and Reef Builder for bicarb (dKH). I test and dose weekly.

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Purple up is a marketing gimmick that preys on people new to the hobby. Coraline needs proper mag and calcium to grow(also prefers actinic lighting) The price of a huge bottle of purple up will get you all the epsom salt and pickling lime you need to last much longer than that purple up will last. People who say it works for them are telling the truth but it's not the way to supplement economically. Get yourself some epsom salt for like $3 and some pickling lime/kalwasser or calcium chloride flakes. And a couple of test kits would be preferable.

12. byrodoc

byrodoc Astrea Snail

I'm glad I posted this question...it seems that I was misinformed at my LFS. They told me that testing for Ca and Mg was unnecessary for a FOWLR. I, of course, test for nitrates,pH, phosphorous. Looks like I better buy another test kit. THe more I'm on this site...the more I don't trust the folks at my local LFS. THanks again for the help.