Is my XENIA DYING??? HELP

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Tight Lipped, Mar 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tight Lipped

Tight Lipped Astrea Snail

I just purchased a Silver pumping Xenia frag this past weekend, I acclimated it to the temp for 1/2 hour, rinsed it in fresh water (a quick dip) and put it in the middle (from the bottom) of the tank. At first it opened up and was pumping nicely, looked healthy for the rest of the day but lately it is curled up into tight fists and seems to be sagging. When I purchased it it was beautifully full and pumping nicely, at least 4x's the size it is now.

It was close to an long tentacle anemone that may have stung it so I moved it away yesterday, this morning it looked worse, like it is getting thinner so I moved a little higher.

The tank has good water movement, I have several other soft corals in there like Kenya tree and frogspawn doing nicely.

Has anyone any ideas on what to try, move it lower?? Does it seem normal

2. Click Here!

3. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

xenias need alot of iodine are you dosing?

4. Tight Lipped

I dosed with Kalwasser and some Iodine on Saturday, I also did a water change on Sunday (16 gals out of 55). Should I add a shot of Iodine?

5. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

hmmm thats a little tough to say the water change might have just thrown it off a bit id wait it out and see what happens

6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

i wouldnt dose iodine or strontium only, these two elements can fry a tank if not used correctly. with regular water changes or dosing a supp with these in the mix with other stuff is enough.

imop, this is your problem. it may or may not bounce back

what are your water parameters? your lighting?

7. Tight Lipped

the salt is 1.023
    ph 8.3
    temp 78 deg
    I have 2 white 2 actinic 110watts 46.5" bulbs for a total of 440 watts of light.
    I have to check the others tonight

I dose the strontium with the calcium on a weekly basis, add the iodine directly to the sump and mid week I add another cap of strontium.

You think a quick FW dip could have hurt it, then why would it ever have opened up in the first place?

I think it was the water change although everything else seems fine.

I do think I overdosed with API tap water conditioner, I use 2 capfuls in the new mix but when I went online to look to see if that was a problem I could not find anything out about overdosing tap water conditioner.

I also changed the phos lock, added 3 tablespoons to a filter bag and it is in the filter sock.

8. Click Here!

9. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

can i ask why do you do a fw dip on corals??

10. Tight Lipped

The place where I get them from does it and suggests to do it but to tell you the truth I am not exactly sure why, guess I should ask.

11. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

hmm i know you should do it with fish - help to stop introduing parasites but never heard of it with coral

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Dipping corals before introducting them into a reef tank is a generally good idea but I would do it with one of the commercially available coral dips (which you usually mix with some of your tank water). I don't dip fish.