Is my water ok?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Destimondia, Jan 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. phil_n_fish

phil_n_fish Astrea Snail

its a method but its not the best method lol. I cycled with some live rock and then 1 week later added a clown fish because they are hardy and it survived the cycle without any signs of stress. This sped up my cycle time and I was able to add fish and only had to wait a short time after adding another fish. I didnt like putting a fish in a cycling tank but I didnt want to wait a few extra weeks on it naturally decomposing or i didnt want other people to see bits of floating raw moldy shrimp in the water.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. phil_n_fish

phil_n_fish Astrea Snail

there are also bottles of bacteria that helps speed up cycling. They recommend putting fish in to introduce ammonia so the stuff can work. Public aquariums use it when they are behind schedule.

4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I have to respectfully strongly disagree with this method. You should never cycle with live animals. I wouldn't even add a CuC until a tank is cycled.

5. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

+1 to that

6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Who is "they". I have never heard any instructions recommend adding a live fish to introduce ammonia. There are better ways to start a cycle. :confused:

If you are wanting to cycle faster, then you can get cultured live rock for one. You could also buy some Microbacter7 or something from Dr.Tim. ;D

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Before I joined 3reef I cycled the same way, with a damsel though! But I'd bet ya 9 out of 10 experienced reefers on here would agree that the shrimp is the best way, as using a live fish, if the ammonia spikes high can kill it or weaken it! my damsel made it through, but he definitely had a few rough days, breathing real heavy! To each their own, I just think its more humane and accomplishes the same exact thing! If I'd knew then what i know now, i'd do it that way! i just kinda think using a live critter is kinda mean!

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

quit stealing my thoughts and typing faster than I can!;)

10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

+1. I've heard that there is the possibility of long term effects on fish that are used to cycle a tank. I know there are some cheap fish, but why put a living creature through a cycle when there is no need for it?

11. phil_n_fish

phil_n_fish Astrea Snail

I do agree with all of yall. I had two previous tanks that I did a fishless cycle. but hey it worked for me so I'm not complaining. I still dont like using raw shrimp. I would rather use live rock or inverts. I always had cycling help with live rock or sand so the ammonia levels wont last longer then they should.

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

cool! just not sure I'd ever recommend using a fish for it! kinda mean!