Is my water ok?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Destimondia, Jan 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Destimondia

Destimondia Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

My tank has been cyclying with water i got at the fish store for 3 weeks now and it has been a stable 0ppm ammonia 0ppm nitrite and 5ppm nitrate the whole time, there hasn't been any spikes in any of the categories:confused:, is that good or bad?

2. Click Here!

3. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

That might be good... Did you use any live rock? Did you add any food or shrimp or anything to start the cycle?

4. phil_n_fish

phil_n_fish Astrea Snail

For a cycle to start, there will have to be ammonia in the tank. I would introduce some reef cleaners like hermit crabs because they only cost like 1.50 a pop and they will poop which will turn into ammonia and plus after the cycle you will already have some crab in your tank for daily cleaning ;)

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

throw a raw shrimp in there for a week or so! then see what you're levels are!;)

1 person likes this.
  6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

+1. You can't go wrong with that.

7. phil_n_fish

phil_n_fish Astrea Snail

lol thats a good way to start ammonia but that would lead to other problems like unwanted bacteria in the tank. Not all bacteria is good and alot of species of bacteria dont belong in a tank which can lead to infections and horrible smells. It may have worked for many but with my opinion, I wouldn't do it.

8. Click Here!

9. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

I thought this is how a lot of people started their cycle. I have done mine with fish foods and/or frozen prawn.

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

i don't know, seems like a pretty common practice! better than putting a poor fish through an ammonia spike! plus, it;s not gonna add anything that something dying in your tank isn't gonna add anyway! hopefully the good bacteria eats up the bad!

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Raw shrimp is what most people say to do. I don't know if it is right or wrong, but a lot people also pull it out once it starts to decompose.

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

+1 put in a filter sock or pantyhose so ya can get it out!