Is My Tort Bleached or Dead?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by justonwo, Jan 7, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

I have a tort frag that turned a beautiful, deep purple color and had great polyp extension for about 3 months. And then it started to bleach very suddenly over a couple of days. I put the coral in a shady area and some reddish color seemed to return. I couldn't tell if it was algae or true actual re-coloration of the flesh.

When I look at the frag up close with a magnifying glass, I still see the striations I'm used to seeing on the flesh of an acro. Does that mean the flesh is still there? Or will those striations remain even on dead skeleton? I'm trying to figure out if I should give up on this frag or not.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Picture? Did it look like it shed tissue? Do you see polyps? Bleached coral still have polyp extension.

DSC reef likes this.
  4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Agree with kevin. Really need a picture to know for sure

5. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

I never witnessed any flesh stripping off, which is shy I suspected it was simply bleaching. If you look closely, you can see the little striations that you normally see in the flesh of an acropora. However, I don't really see any polyp extension. This coral was really shy about polyp extension even when it was vibrant and seemingly healthy.

I can't tell if the color coming back on the tips is algae of some kind or actually re-coloring of the flesh. The original color was definitely more purple than reddish.

[​IMG]

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

That is just skeleton, with some cyano growing on it. Sorry

DSC reef likes this.
  7. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Bummer. It had been going so well. RIP little tort. Sorry I couldn't give you the specific temperature, pH, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, nitrate, phosphate, specific gravity, lighting, weekly water changes, consistent sock filter changes, amino acid supplements, and consistent environment you clearly needed to thrive. You finicky little bastard.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Picture? Did it look like it shed tissue? Do you see polyps? Bleached coral still have polyp extension.
    Unfortunately so.