is my torch coral dying,help, pics attached

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by muggle, Jul 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. muggle

muggle Purple Spiny Lobster

Came home tonight torch was ok, left for an hour and came back to this. The whiteness of the tentacles have been apparent for the last two months...the hair like stuff coming from the torch looks like it is coming out of the mouth on three of the heads. nitrates are less than five, alkalinity is 9 dkh, calcium was 450, salinity 1.025, temp79, phosphates were 0 to-.25(somewhere in there). Please advise. thanks. Some fish have also ate the hair like muck coming from the torch.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Looks like another poopin' coral.

Not sure about the white color, using my phone, but as long as the flesh is not receding or jellied up it should be fine. What lights do you have on it, and where is the placement?

4. muggle

corals poop...i mean i know they're living so that would make sense, i have 2 250w halides on the tank, the corals placement is about 1/2 way up the tank, ive had the coral for about 6 months, the whiteness showed up like i said about two months ago, this was the first time ive seen this hair like stuff coming from it.

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

If you just introduced the coral it's to much light. That's what it looks like to me. The coral is expelling zooanthellae and bleaching in response. Move it to a shady area or provide some shade for it there and gradually acclimate to the halides.

6. muggle

it has been under the same halides for the past six months, would it take that long for it to start to show signs of bleaching

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Maybe a little higher flow could help, but it looks like it is open just fine.

You could try lowering it a bit they are not high light needing corals.

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I would recommend not to click on the Insanity 90 day workout link.

10. nicodim55

nicodim55 Coral Banded Shrimp

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Sorry boys, I don't believe it is excretion. Looks like Brown Jelly disease. Treat it promptly.

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Mine has done this for months, minus the bleaching. I was told it was excrement.

Would brown jelly move slowly, to the point of taking months to kill a coral?

I think the bleaching and excrement could be two different symptoms, too. Something to consider.