Is my tank too small?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Frizza, Feb 20, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

Just researching about clams and even though many sites state how big a clam can get there really isn't anything on the appropriate size tank!

Anyone know if my tank would be suitable for a clam?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'd be more concerned with whether or not you have enough light for the clam than whether or not you had enough room for it :) Clams are slow growers so it would take years if not decades for one to "outgrow" your 35 gallon tank. Gigas do grow a bit faster than the other clams though so keep that in mind.

4. Frizza

My white light gives off around 9500K you don't think that would be enough? Ahh, you see there is little info about how long they take to grow, and there I was thinking that a small little clam grows full size before you know it!!

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Duuuuuh....I know nothing about lighting and K values and all that stuff.....that's what my fiancee is for. Sorry :)

Don't get me wrong now, with proper care and feeding, clams can grow rather quickly but you don't have to worry about upgrading your tank in the immediate future if you add one today :)

6. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

What type of lighting and how many watts do you have on the tank Frizza?

Marc.

7. Frizza

I only have one white and one blue light, as far as the watts they are both 18 watt. The white lamp is a T8 if thats any help!

8. Click Here!

9. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

+1 on how much light vs. the color. Clams like it bright.

I'd also be a little concerned about water quality. Fluvals are not real good at removing/reducing NO3.

10. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Whoops, we crossed.
    That sounds insufficient to me, but I just started with clams. I have 2 living under a 250 MH and 220 pc about 12 inches deep. They are thriving, but I don't have a clue as to true minimum lighting conditions.

11. Frizza

Why would the fluval be less effecient with removing nitrates? Wouldn't this be down to the type of media is in the system?

12. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

IMO thats not enough light for a clam. I've heard of people keeping clams under T8's with succes but cant garanty anything. I have 130 watts of PC on a 20 gallon and im still not sure if i will put a clam in the tank i may wait until i upgrade to MH. So i would stay away from clams for now. atleast until you upgrade your lighting if thats the way you want to go.

Hey Blade correct me if im wrong but dont clams like "dirty" water :-/. Im really not sure about this but i think thats what i've read.

Marc.