Is my tank overstocked?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by szogun, Feb 22, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. szogun

szogun Feather Duster

:-[
    Hi my tank is 75 gal and its 7 months old. I have 50p of LR. I also have one 400W MH on one of the sides as well as regular 40W 48" light fixture with actinic blue bulb
    I want to start the reef but I dont know if I have to much fish for a reef. I have 1 yellow tang 1 haptus blue tang, 1 coral beauty, 1 demsel and 1 cleaner warsse.
    What do you think? I also have a 20 gal sump with DSB, calurepa and some LR and If how many coras I should start with, the thing is that i will get a good deal if i buy 4
    andy comment welcome
    Thanks!!

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef.

Without knowing anything more about your setup I would say you have stocked too fast.  The rule of thumb is 1" of fish per 5 gallons of water.  If you figure 70% water for 95 gallons of capacity, excluding the displacement of rock and sand, you have approximately 65 gallons of water.  This would allow for 13" of adult fish.  You conservatively have 30" of adult fish as the blue tang can reach up to 12" in the home acquaria alone.

You will need another 75 - 100 lbs of fully cured live rock to be able to have a good reef system as well as 4" of good live aragonite sand.

Coral Beauties, as well as all angels, have been known to nip at corals and clams.  

Cleaner Wrasses have very particular diets requiring a good population of amphipods and copepods.  As a result they need a mature tank, at least a year old, or thier survival rates are very low.  I would rate this fish as an advanced fish for experienced aquariasts.

75 gallons is on the small side for an adult Blue Tang.

Mushrooms and polyps, soft corals, make great starter corals.  I would make some decisions, slow down, and wait at least another six months after adding the fully cured live rock before adding anything else to your tank.

Go slow and let it grow is the mantra here.

HTH

4. szogun

szogun Feather Duster

Thanks for the info I hope I will survive :)

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

nO PROBLEM. lET US KNOW WHAT YOUR THINKING AND IF WE CAN BE OF ANY MORE ASSISTANCE.

6. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Are you in Illinios? if not I had a customer in the store sunday with your exact setup. Welcome to 3 reef and fire away with the questions.