Is my pH the culprit???

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ryanwolf, Jul 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

That set looks really well put togeher.. Guy does electronic work and they hard to tell he changed the plugs for the corallife ballast and not the Bluewave's that came on the LumenMax 3's .

2. Click Here!

3. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Sell your T5's and get a T5 retro to go with the MH's, use the T5's as acintic only and the MH for the daylight setup

4. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

Marinedepot.com

Guess what...
    I tried to buy a retrofit and they say don't waste your money on it if you have t5's...
    They say the t5's run more efficient and are powerful enough to support the anemone...
    They say it was the water chemistry that caused the anemone to go south...
    I'm going to check my LFS's water chemistry to compare to mine...
    LFS says the anemone looks 20 percent better since I dropped him off and they are using 80 watt compact lights in a smaller sized tank...
    I'm thinking pH was the culprit...
    Just keeping everyone in the loop for feedback

5. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I think tossing an anenome in a curing tank was the culprit...
    Honestly man if your not going to listen to anyone's advice then why ask?
    Is it if you don't hear what you want or what you think is right you fish for answers until someone tells you what you want? Ok rant /off I need caffine

Ok just had a cup of coffee and I stand beside what I said still. PH may have had something to do with it but I gurantee you it wasn't the only thing.
    #1 you DO NOT Have enough light to support a carpet anenome on the bottom of a tank
    #2 Your tank is to young to support an anenome bigger than aptasia

What to do, read this and take it to heart, I'm being a little more brash than I've ever been on these boards but it really chaps my hide to see someone just tossing animals in a tank that can not support them just cause a LFS owner whose trying to scrape by in a crappy economy said it would do ok.

TO DO LIST
    #1 Slow down and take a deep breathe and rethink what you want out of this hobby, to kill things or to have a happy and healthy salt water reef tank
    #2 Buy some new lights, just cause marinedepot said you dont need them doesn't mean squat in my mind, they have $7 an hour employees that have never owned a reef tank in their lives going off what they read off the script on their monitor
    #3 WAIT to put any other anenome or clam or whatever else you end up seeing at the LFS that is "pretty", just give the tank a chance to catch up and finish maturing, I know it's hard and it sucks but that why I usually reccomend someone buying their first rig to go buy a used setup first cause you can just start tossing stuff in since the tank is matured already.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  6. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

Iraf,

Great post! I felt the sting from the slap. *wack, wack*
    Trust me... if there's one thing I do do ... it's listen to what people have to say on this forum. However, I like to share different people's opinions on the subject because that way I'm filled with knowledge on a variety of techniques and what not. Trust me, the last thing I want to do is purchase an animal to just to have it killed. I think I've proven that over my short time here on 3reef. I appreciate everyone's opinions and look up to people like you on this forum. That's why I'm actively seeking advice from others, and investing time and money in this hobby. I love my tank and every animal in the tank.

BTW... your comment on the marinedepot employee making 7 dollars an hour... was priceless!!!! Thanks for everything!

Ryan

7. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

HeHeHeHe, you said "do do", HeHeHe!

8. Click Here!

9. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

Update:

I added Reef Buffer 8.3 into my RO/DI reservoir...
    The slow drip over the course of a week... brought my pH to 8.3 as tested on the same API pH test that showed 7.8 last week. I guess the test wasn't broken after all. Either way, I've ordered a digital pH tester... and I'll reconfirm when it arrives on Monday.
    Now all I need to do is get my salinity up from 1.023 to 1.025, which I plan to do with a series of water changes this week.

I also tested my calcium which dropped from 540 to 420 by not using calcium-enriched salt during my water changes... my KH dropped from 11 to 9.

I'll test for mag this Wed. when that kit comes in...

Anemone is doing great at LFS...
    We're still trying to figure out what's best for it.

Ryan

10. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

You can get the salinity up just by using saltwater for your top off, rather than plain ro/di water. As the water evaporates, the salt stays behind. If you keep replacing the evaporated water with saltwater, you will drive the salinity up.

1 person likes this.
  11. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Exactly what I've done when I needed to raise it

1 person likes this.
  12. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

Thanks for the post...

Isn't it bad to add saltwater in the reservoir? I thought it would cause problems for the kent top off drip in the sump or even thin tubing?

If not, how much should I add into the reservoir in terms of salinity level to drive up the main tank from 1.022ish to 1.025?

Cheers!
    Ryan

PS Your method sure would save my butt on having to do those main water changes as frequent as I've been doing!!!
    By the way... since it's slow drip...couldn't I just add the salt directly into the rubbermaid 10 gallon tub.... mix in there... and just let it drip as needed after testing the salinity?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008