Is my pH the culprit???

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ryanwolf, Jul 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

you beat me

2. Click Here!

3. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Borate and O2. Muleteam laundry booster (I believe that's the correct name; I'm at work so I can't look) contains Borate. Get an airpump and airstone too. These should help to raise your pH.

Edit: It's called 20 Mule Team Borax.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  4. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

Great advice...
    wildreef and others are right...
    We loved the colors of the anemone and jumped on it... to the tune of 120.00 bucks. It was soo gorgeous though...
    I'm taking a water sample to the LFS tomorrow to be tested... that way I know where my alk and pH stand.
    I'll post those results here and let everyone know if the anemone is on the rebound.

Karma to you all...
    any other thoughts?
    Ryan

PS hey wildreef... my wife isn't pulling the strings on these purchases... it's my dumb a**... patience isn't something I'd say is my strong point *duh* ;=-)

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Think about it this way man, if you jump on something that you are not equipped to take care of, then you are yanking that piece out of the store from someone who may be equipped and able to enjoy it. You have enjoyed this anemone hardly if any. Does that make sense???

6. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

Question:

LFS said to add about 40lbs of argonite sand...
    my sand bed is about 2 inches already...

Will this affect the livestock? Become an instant buffer without having to add on to raise my pH?

Is this a good idea?

Ryan

7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

arag doesn't start to buffer untill it gets below 7 (the reason for using co2 in a ca reactor) by the time your ph gets that low you have some serious issues to deal with. I would try a second test kit before I did all that. By the way the ph in my bare bottom tank stays at 8.2

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

I just tested with a test strip for my outdoor spa...
    it reads at 8.2...

But the test by API saltwater shows 7.8 any time of the day...

How does an air stone and pump work... does it happen quickly or is it over days or weeks?

I'm thinking about just using a pH buffer... but I'm concerned about the high dKH

any thoughts?
    By the way... my NITRATES ARE AT 0PPM FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE TANK'S HISTORY!!!!! ANYONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT THIS... UNDERSTANDS!

10. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

congrats on your accomplisment. Anything you put in your tank to raise the ph is going to up your alk too.

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

What's your calcium and magnesium at?

12. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Get a new test kit also since your using API (I do to not a bad thing) Search through Luna's old threads and find the way to tell their expiration date I cant remember yet since I haven't had any coffee this morning