Is my PetCo telling me lies?????

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by HelpMe!, May 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

I agree with the above said.. I honestly do NOT trust petco.. or any other LFS for that matter.
    I usually do my research and then buy. ( saves a lot of time/ and money and fish)
    They not only lied to you but sold you the tangs to expensive IMO.. I get medium sized blue tangs at my LFS for like 50-60.
    Anemones should not be added to a tank that is less than a 7 months old. Preferable a year old before adding an anemone, because they are so delicate that any drastic change from a new set up tank can kill them. THey also require special lightning.
    I would like you to test your water parameters for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, PH, salinity.
    For future reference, a 20G tank cant hold many fish 4 at the most. However, there is only a certain amount fish you can add. Any type of tang need at least 75G tank in order to live happily, simply because they need a lot of swimming room.

However that doesnt mean that you cant add cool fish to your tank, you could add a a pair of clowns, firefish, gobies, small typed wrasses like the 6line wrasse. blennys etc...

Do you know what cycling a tank is? and how is done? this step is crusial before adding any live stock to your tank because otherwise the levels of ammonia produced from the fish waste can poisson them. The way we 3reefers do it, ( most of us) is just adding a piece of raw shrimp to the tank and letting it rot and test for ammonia. You should see a spike of ammonia in the chart, and as time goes by the ammonia should be zero, Nitrites and nitrates should be 0 as well. when this is achieved your tank is cycled and ready for live stock.
    ( this was just a brief introduction)
    I should suggest as well that if you have ANY question, no matter what it is.. ASK ASK ASK.. we are ready to help you.

please tell us how you are set up as well so we can help you more. :) and welcome to 3reef.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Don't turn this into a PetCo bashing thread, and simply help the OP otherwise it will likely get shut down.

4. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

I did not bashed.. I simply said i do not trust Petco or ANY LFS for that matter.. ( i said petco simply because he bought his livestock from there).
    That is a positive advice simply because most LFS are just there to Sell and not to inform. I got to say that some LFs are not like that but it is best for a buyer to know their stuff before investing.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

If true, it's just another story like this that happens when people trust lfs employees who don't know much, but don't realize it.

However, I have my doubts as to whether this story is true or not, it's just a hunch I have from reading thousands of posts. (Particularly the last part about the employee laughing, overall post doesn't sound right. And to have nobody respond on another site with the same exact post, IMO, it sounds like they are just jumping from site to site trying to stir up trouble, but I could be wrong.)

If true, then you should take some responsiblility on your own. You jumped into this without doing any research, while it's good to talk with lfs employees, you should know what you want before hand and the requirments. The best advice I can give you is to sell back the fish to another lfs or a fellow hobbyist and start over. Read books, research online and ask questions, then start your tank.

2 people like this.
  6. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Sorry to think I directed this at you, I was just throwing it out there for all to read as all threads that bash a particular store get shut down. Don't be so sensitive. Just reminding all. I feel for the guy's situation. You gave good advice, k+

1 person likes this.
  7. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

agreed:p

8. Click Here!

9. HelpMe!

HelpMe! Guest

Oh my gosh, this site is so helpful!! I tried ReefMonkey and no one replied! I knew they were lyting once I woke up and the tank was cloudy and one tang already died. I am going to a LFS tomorrow to return anything that is left. no i do not know what a cycle is but will have to read up! I am thinking about suing the company, or man in charge or the employee for negligant info resulting in the loss of the animals lives and my money. Does anyone think that is a bad idea? I dont understand how they can do that, plain theivery. Well I will see what happens tomorrow and hopefully the other two make it. I tossed the nem out once I read this as it was desintigrading in the tank. Thank you guys for the help, I appreciate it very much!

Sue

10. HelpMe!

HelpMe! Guest

I am not trying to bash them in any way or lie about my situation. I was misinformed and am seeking help. So if you do not want to help, please stay off my thread, thank you.

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I don't mean to sound rude, and of course you don't need to reply to this, but how old are you? It sounds like you've gotten yourself in way over your head. In the end, it's the buyer's responsibility to know what they are buying and how to take care of it in this instance.

12. HelpMe!

HelpMe! Guest

I am 43 years old, not that it matters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.