Is my PetCo telling me lies?????

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by HelpMe!, May 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

It doesn't ring true to me either... I'm wondering if the manager lied too to give the appearance of action.

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I agree with hasek1639 more than 100% (even though mathematically impossible). If you still have the tank, just let it sit there. Add a raw shrimp and let it rot so your tank's cycling process will speed up. And in no time, you'll be ready for some very nice and soothing fish. I look at my tank, and even though it's somewhat not as stocked as I would like, it relaxes me a million times more than a nyquil O.D. LOL!

- Mag.

4. HelpMe!

HelpMe! Guest

Why would the manager lie about that? What do you think I should do?

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Fish don't have barcodes. ;D

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

to give you false confidence all is right in the world. to give the impression action is being taken (like I said). So that you would leave with the feeling that his store didn't rip you off, but a rogue group of scam artist employees and not spread the information further. Lots of reasons really.

I'd contact bbb and file a complaint and leave it at that. I do not buy life (other than feeder fish) from big name pet stores. Period.

no, but most folks don't pay in cash. I don't know, seems like this is just asking to get caught since there is a paper trail... I guess he did though right?

Unless the manager is in on the scam and wants to create the appearance he is not.

7. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

Well I am getting in late (10 pages in a day? wow...). I'm glad the PetCo manager dealt with things like he did. Ultimately MOST people are good, and a good manager knows how to run a store, i.e. avoid lawsuits and bad PR, both of which affect profits. I do have a few things to add:

First, you absolutely had a valid law suit. Any time someone does someone else wrong and it result in money being lost is valid grounds for a civil suit. You go to your local municipal court, pay a small fee (usually $20-75) and you drag the offender into small claims court.

At the very least I would go after them for $260 in dead livestock. Depending on your local laws you can maybe get travel and time expenses, the cost of whatever you have invested in you tank, and even punitive multipliers for the aggravation this has caused.

But, a lawsuit is really only worth pursuing when all OTHER civil avenues of settlement have failed. You went and talked to the manager, and it sounds like he made you whole and despite the frustration, you're back where you started. That is always the first step, and as you've seen it worked out ok. If more people did what you did the courts in this country would be a lot less crowded. Still.... if the manager blew you off or offered something less than what you expected (to be made whole) then yeah, I would have said take them to court.

Second, I personally would still pursue the actual sales person in small claims court for the excess money he pocketed. If for no other reason than to ruin HIS day (on top of being fired). If you're lucky PetCo also has a suit against him for money he cost them, both in refunded sales and stolen profits. These guys are scum-of-the-Earth and I strongly believe in doing everything society allows to minimize their impact and punish them for their criminal antics. This is my opinion, don't take it to heart, but that's what I would do.

Now that I've said that, some reality checks for you as well.

Caveat Emptor is a VERY important philosophy you should know by the time you're 43. When the guy said the tangs were $70 each you didn't look at the price labels on the tank? You didn't check your receipt? If nothing else now you've learned that lesson, right? I mean, it doesn't excuse what dorkwad did, but still, you have to be on the lookout for that.

Last but not least, (as this should really be first), Welcome to 3reef! We're here to help you, really! I'm not getting paid, I don't think anyone is. Except Matt...I heard he just bought a $5,000,000 yacht from all the lucrative advertising he's doing here... (I kid).

It sounds like this is something you decided to do before things went wrong and if your still interested keep it up, your heart will come back to it. There's already a TON of good advice here on setting up a new tank and I encourage you to read the New To The Hobby - 3reef Forums section first...not EVERY post, but anything that catches your eye. It's not that bad, really. Also, you're welcome to post questions before or after. Unlike many forums redundant questions don't get scolded here, and usually result in new info in addition to the recycled stuff, so it's all good.

Anyways, welcome again, and now that this is all settled I would consider a new tank set up. It's a great way to relax and calm down - watching a tank, that is.

-Doug

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I'm closing this thread.

Helpme!,

Expect a stern PM under your regular username shortly. It would probably be a good idea to use this time it takes us to craft this PM to apologize to the people on this thread who wasted their time for your amusement. Not cool. Not cool at all!!!

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

tell us who. we deserve to be warned.

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

This behavior is out of character for this member. Using 2 accounts like this is a bannable offense. However, I believe we can work this out and they will go back to behaving the way they have in the past and will never do this again. Think about it. If you made a bad mistake one day that was out of your typical behavior, wouldn't you want a second chance? If I gave the Username out, they would have people angry with them.

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.