Is my PetCo telling me lies?????

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by HelpMe!, May 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

*******FIRST OFF I WILL SAY I DONT PROMOTION VIOLENCE *******

:lol::lol: lol but i like the way you think :uzi:

2. Click Here!

3. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

LOL priceless

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

wow thats so wrong. in so many ways.

5. bama

bama Humpback Whale

that is always my idea of a good time.. the next time you walk in the store the manager will kiss your feet.

6. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

I would NOT shop there again. Not only did they give horrible advice, but I'm sure your LFS has WAY better prices on fish. What type of baby tangs did you pay 70 dollars for?!?! That employee should get fired. I would go to the manager and explain what happened, that way that employee can't tell these lies to other people. I can't believe he said fish won't grow out of their tanks, what an IDIOT!

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Definitely not PetCo. They say, on the back of the yellow card they use, that there's 0 guarantee on saltwater livestock.

Fish actually won't grow out of their tanks. The levels of various compounds in a too-small tank will stunt their growth a bit, and they'll die from stress before they get to the point of being "WAYYY too big".

8. Click Here!

9. HelpMe!

HelpMe! Guest

Just an update for everybody. I went there and was going to "raise heck" but decided to see what the manager was going to do about it first. All the fish died and I went there with the bodies as proof of what had happened. I went directly to the manager and told him every detail about the employee and how he took advantage of me. As it turns out, the employee was a con artist of sorts. He was feeding people(not just me) every lie in the book to get a sale. When I told the manager how much I had paid for everything he was speechless, saying he knows they don't sell tangs for that much. Well, apparently that employee was selling livestock for almost double of what they actually sell it for and was pocketing the money for himself and a few other employees who were in on it. To make a long story short, I was credited back the full amount and now the employee and his pals are fired. I am not sure I will pursue this hobby any time soon, as this has been a horrible start for something that looked so soothing. But I really do appreciate everyone's wisdom and advice, thank you guys so much!

Sue

10. hasek1639

hasek1639 Fire Shrimp

Don't let this ruin the hobby for you but live by the 3reef saying "go slow, let it grow" I would say let your tank sit and cycle and in a month or so you can add a clown or damsel to get things going in it.

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

How does an employee do that? Did you just give him cash? Isn't all the inventory and prices on the computer system?

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

nice.

Fish growth is controlled by genetics, not the size of the bowl. The idea a fish won't outgrow its bowl is misinformation. The amount of compounds isn't relevant to the size of the container. I do agree most will die of stress before they reach their full size and that is where the false idea came from. You will not have a minature tang for years just bc it's in a small tank. It will outgrow it (though probably won't make it to maturity) and die.

There are a few species of fish that, through hormones released in the water, tend to not outgrow their pond. But those are the exception and not generally fish we keep in this hobby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.