Is my nem already gone?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by April Hope, Feb 7, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Hi there,

Yesterday I noticed my green tip anemone was not attached. He's been attached to the same spot for over a year and very happy. All of a sudden he's very deflated gaping moth and then protruding mouth. My params are all very good, at least normal for my tank. I'm just wondering if he's a goner or if there's a chance to save him?

I attached an image of what he normally looks like and two now.
    He's really not washed out like the picture looks like, he's still pretty green with plump tentacles. He's also still eating. I target feed him mysis 2-3 times a week although he was not target fed at all last week.

Lastly he did have some what I thought was poo expelling?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

I would stop feeding him for the time being, without stressing it further is its foot still attached and sticky? how long has the mouth been open?

4. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Oops I fed him this morning thinking that would help him.

This morning he was completely detached. I looked where he normally sits and there was a crab shell in the way so I moved it, and put him back. He's reattached now.

Mouth started opening yesterday evening and then closed, after protruding, and is now open again this morning.

5. Swisswiss

keep an eye on it but not all hope is lost...something is up though, its rare for nems to just be like "eff it...im going for a stroll" especially if its been in the same place for years... you sure your water parameters are what they usually are? did you change the arrangement if your powerheads?

again if you suspect its going to start "dancing" in your water column i would turn off the pumps while you sleep. Iv woken up twice to a clouded tank due to a shredded nem. fish panting and some dead.... its not a pretty sight and ums you out first thing in the morning...itit can happen VERY fast depending on the size and potency of the nem

cody3819 and scajeo like this.
  6. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

We did two things in the last monthish, we changed our lighting from an ocean revive to a Vega AL. Our last light sat on top of our glass top maybe 8 " above and the spread. was very good. The new light is highly adjustable and sits way higher off the tank so we could take off the glass top. Probably 16". We keep the lights at 40% white and 80-100% everything else. Also we started making our own water for about a month. We started using reef crystals and the changed to Tropic Marin salt.

We keep our temp at about 78.
    PH was 8.2
    Nitrates absolutely always sit around 20
    Calcium is about 480
    Ammonia was actually a tad elevated at somewhere between 0-0.25ppm
    That's new. I just checked.

7. Swisswiss

those could all definitely be factors that bothered your nem...did you change salt progressively or point blank? my guess is she just needs to re-adapt to the lights/waterchemistrey but will soon be back to her glorious self... I would still lay off feeding though, least for the time being

cody3819 likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

We went from store bought water to making our own with reef crystals and the abruptly changed to Tropic Marin. :(

We will lay off feeding him. His names Marvin. And we are doing a 20% water change right now to see if that helps the ammonia. My ammonia has never been high?

Also, do you know anything at all about Tropic Marin salt? It came with the picture below. It had no instructions in English, and I don't know what it is or if I need to use it? Opinions?

Thank you for the help by the way, I'm pretty bummed about my nem, so I hope he makes it.

I gather you don't think he's dead yet?

10. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

11. Swisswiss

as long as he has strength to hold to a rock not all is lost.... never heard of tropic marine salt unfortunately , are any of your other tank inhabitants showing unusual behavior?

fish panting, corals closed up etc

12. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Nope. None. I added some stress guard because because my Tang has a tendency to flash but he's always done that. Every thing else looks awesome.